**IMPORTANT NOTICE** As required by the department's rules of conduct, all employees of the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) must be in compliance with the California revenue and taxation code. During the background investigation portion of the hiring process, FTB will review return information to verify California state income tax compliance. Any failure to comply with the California revenue and taxation code may prevent you from being hired at FTB. You must verify your filing status by calling 1-800-852-5711 to resolve any potential tax compliance issues, prior to submitting your application and seeking employment with FTB. All applicants not currently employed with the Franchise Tax Board will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The investigation will consist of completion of a pre-employment questionnaire, fingerprinting, and an inquiry to the Department of Justice to disclose criminal records. We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Persons with hearing or speech impairments, call TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Filing Methods & Budget Bureau
Tax Forms Development & Distribution Section Manager (Position number 723-4352-001) :
Under the general direction of the Director, Filing Methods and Budget Bureau, the incumbent is responsible for planning, directing, and leading the overall operation of the department’s Tax Forms Program. The Tax Forms Program impacts over 14 million taxpayers and over one million corporations, with end results that contribute to or generate over 60% of California’s general fund revenue. Thus accuracy is of the utmost importance and amongst the department’s highest risk areas. The incumbent will interact and maintain contact with FTB's divisions, other state agencies, the Internal Revenue Service, industry stakeholders and legislative staff to analyze potential changes to tax forms and implement new legislation. The incumbent will also communicate/introduce annual tax forms to external entities whose programs depend on the design and efficiency of FTB’s tax forms, such as tax professionals and tax software developers. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating the printing of tax forms with Office of State Publishing.
Filing Compliance Bureau
Filing Enforcement Section Manager (Position number 765-4352-001) :
Under the general direction of the Director, Filing Compliance Bureau, the incumbent is responsible for planning, directing and leading the compliance activities of the Filing Enforcement Section. This section administers the department’s non-filer program by identifying, contacting, and issuing assessments for individuals and business entities that have a filing requirement in California and have not filed a tax return. The many responsibilities of the Filing Enforcement Section are supported by a strong team of 87 staff, including one Administrator II and four Administrator I’s. In addition to overseeing ongoing operations of the section, the incumbent will lead, or participate on departmental teams representing the section, bureau, division, and/or department. The incumbent will also participate in work groups in collaboration with other state and federal revenue agencies for the purpose of sharing effective enforcement technologies and processes that help increase taxpayer compliance.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS :
WHO MAY APPLY :
- Knowledge of FTB operations and the interrelationships of the FTB.
- Ability to motivate, mentor, build productive teams and lead others through change.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to engage staff in a collaborative way.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships at all levels.
- Ability to present ideas and information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and manage multiple workloads, priorities and deliverable timelines.
- Knowledge of departmental policies, principles, practices, and procedures.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to engage and collaborate with internal and external customers.
- Strong communication skills, including ability to speak and interact with external stakeholders.
- Ability to identify and manage business improvement changes, including technology solutions.
- Involvement in a diversity of activities, program areas, and/or positions that have provided you with a greater understanding and appreciation for the broader perspective of the department/enterprise.
- Demonstrated performance encouraging positive relationships, creating high job satisfaction, encouraging success, showing understanding, and being trusting and supportive.
Current state employees with status in the above classification or lateral transfers from an equivalent class, former state employees who can reinstate into this class or persons who are reachable on a current employment list for this classification. Note: If you are in the process of competing in the Administrator III exam and are not on the list yet, you may apply for these positions pending your successful completion of the exam and achieving a reachable rank. All appointments are subject to SROA/Surplus hiring provisions. Surplus candidates must submit an application packet as outlined in this bulletin with a copy of their surplus status letter in order to be considered.
HOW TO APPLY :
Interested applicants must submit a package containing ALL of the following items:
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION :
- A completed standard state application (STD 678).
- Three professional references (name, title, and phone number)
- Supplemental Application
Candidates must submit a supplemental application to be considered for either position. Your response must be no more than two type-written pages in length using 12-point font, 1-inch margins, and include your first and last name in the upper right-hand corner of each page. When answering each supplemental question, also include employer name, your position/title, how long you held the position and a supervisor’s name who can verify the information. Please respond to the following supplemental statements:
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE THE POSITION NUMBER AND CONTACT PERSON’S NAME IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. FTB EMPLOYEES MUST ROUTE TO: Andrea Becker at M/S A-290. Candidates not currently employed by the Franchise Tax Board must send their application package to the address shown below. Candidates who submit incomplete packages will be eliminated from the selection process. All submitted information will be screened and the most qualified candidates will be invited to an interview. Multiple positions exist for this vacancy.
- Describe your experience that makes you the best candidate for this position.
- As a Section Manager within the Filing Division, you will provide recommendations to our executive management team to improve operations and mitigate overall risk/exposure to FTB. Therefore, it is very important to understand FTBs objectives, business and IT functions, organizational structure and areas of highest risk. Describe your experience in a previous role that required this level of understanding and involvement.
||564 - 706 - 4352 - 001
|Filing Division - Multiple
|Final Filing Date:
P.O. Box 550
Sacramento, CA 95812-0550
|Allen Wilson / Theria Grady
(916)845-5032 / (916)845-5631
Background Check Required