Title: SYSTEMS SOFTWARE SPECIALIST III (TECHNICAL) Salary: $6,110.00 - $8,030.00 Posted: 07/22/2014
Please reference RPA # 7900-ETS on your State application
SELECTION CRITERIA - -
• Please submit a completed State Application (STD 678) and resume to the address above
• SROA/Surplus employees are encouraged to apply.
• Transfers, reinstatements, or recruitment from the employment list may be considered. Consideration may be given to applicants on another Department’s employment list, provided the criteria are met to transfer the eligibility from the employment list to DGS’ employment list
• Applications will be evaluated based on eligibility and desirable qualifications and interviews may be scheduled.
The Department of General Services’ (DGS) Core Values and Employee Expectations are key to the success of the Department’s Mission. That mission is to “Deliver results by providing timely, cost-effective services and products that support our customers.” DGS employees are to adhere to the Core Values and Employee Expectations, and to perform their duties in a way that exhibits and promotes those values and expectations.
All work to be accomplished in accordance with DGS Information Technology Policies and Standards; the State Administrative Manual (SAM) Sections 4800 through 5953 and Sections 6700 through 6780; Department of Finance’s Statewide Information Management Manual (SIMM); California Technology Agency Policies and Standards; Department of Finance’s Desktop and Mobile Computing Policy (DMCP); the State’s IT Security Policy and Standards; and any updates to the above policies and procedures which are addressed through Budget Letters or other methods to ensure compliance with Federal and State government regulations and rules.
Converged Network Operations and Support –
In order to provide oversight and expert technical telecommunication support to Department of General Service (DGS) users by maintaining and operating the architecture and design of a converged network and Avaya VoIP product suite. This includes media servers and Gateways, Unified Messaging, softphones, IP Conference Bridge, and other upcoming applications and support all phases of the product deployment lifecycle: Installation, Product Evaluation, Pilot / Trial, Deployment, On-going Support, and Customer Site visits:
• Act as the Lead Engineer with vendor partners and with telecommunications liaison at the other Department to plan system installations and/or upgrades that ensure data/voice/video services are maintained at appropriate levels.
• Drive the statewide partnership for DGS by leading the Network Engineers to develop and maintain converged network cabling standards, naming standard, QOS, IP schema to ensure uniformity at all statewide sites and inoperability with other Departments.
• Peforms Call Vectoring, SIP Trunking, VoIP Signaling, Capacity Planning, Real Time Protocol data flows, Convergence, dial planing, e911 and PSAPs, Differentiated Services, DSCP trust boundaries and H323 call signaling.
• Responsible for the design, build, and operate the Management System to provide real-time monitoring of jitter, latency, and avoid packet loss that contribute to degradation of voice and video quality.
• Direct the create and produce reports for monitoring trends analysis and long-term traffic engineering.
• Perform or assign routine system maintenaince to ensure maximum availability.
• Manage and coordinate installation of telecommunication lines not associated with the converged voice/data network.
• Support Automated Call Distribution and Interactive Voice Response application systems.
• Set the service level agreements (SLA) and monitor telecommunications performance to prevent down time and meet objective SLA’s.
• Take lead as the SME to research and analyze the most complex technical problems involving telecommunications technology affecting DGS Customers.
• Develops system specifications including operational, security and performance requirements using current technology standards.
• Technical Lead of the group who serves as onsite and daily interface with management and solution vendors in the design, configuration, and implementation of VoIP project’s with proposed solutions by applying state contract policies, procedures, industry standards, best practices, providing guidance and direction to clients via phone, email or in person on the phases of the VoIP implementation project.
Converged Network Design and Implementation –
In order to take ultimate statewide responsiblity for the VoIP design, and implementation strategy for all Department supported by DGS VoIP intiative:
Act as technical lead for DGS in state wide initiatives with the ability to make complex engineer decisions that will have significant impacts in costs, design, and infastructure for the state
• Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for network and VoIP technologies within the Enterprise Archeticuture Team.
• Empowered to analyze, estimate, design, and maintain voice and video systems and services, including VoIP solutions, ACD, auto attendant and voicemail and make critical decisions for significant capital expenditures and on going maintenance costs.
• Develop the plan for system upgrades and enhancements so upgrades are properly installed and maintained in compliance with standards and procedures.
• Research, evaluate and recommend telecommunication hardware and software to ensure DGS’s technology infrastructure remains current
• Provide analysis, design, and implementation plans for the future telecommunications enhancements to ensure systems that will support DGS’ mission
• Responsible for the system administration and maintenance of existing and proposed Unified Communications (UC) systems.
• Performs the most complex UC analysis, develops system specifications, and select and approve equipment standard that support the business requirements. Oversees the creation and maintenance of UC procurement related documents in order to upgrade and implement systems.
• Lead the team that provides statewide telecommunications monitoring to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to standards.
Converged Network Documentation –
• Leads and ensures the Wide Area Network Engineers and VoIP Engineers develop and document implementation plans for telecommunication system security enhancements to ensure an orderly implementation.
• Provides technical SME to ensure the Local Area Network Engineers are installing security software and hardware for telecommunications to provide for increased functionality.
VoIP Network Security Architecture and Maintenance –
• Plan and maintain a disaster recovery plan so that the DGS telecommunications network is protected
• Provide technical guidance to the Statewide Network Engineers to plan for future enhancements to ensure systems that will perform efficiently and integrate with the Statewide Communication Network
• Implement and manintain the security design conformant with State standards for all of DGS.
• Enter time into PAL, time-keeping system.
• Attend team, section and department meetings and training.
• Keep executives, managers and stakeholders informed of status of ongoing projects and tasks.
• Responsible for preparing management reports for status of projects and/or assignments.
• May be called during off duty hours to respond to emergencies
KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: Information technology systems (software) programming equipment, and its capabilities and interfaces between hardware and software, and the requirements for the installation and implementation of the most complex information technology software systems.
Ability to: Write complex programs; develop detailed program specifications; analyze data and situations, reason logically and creatively, identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions; apply creative thinking in the design and development of methods of processing information with information technology systems; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; work under pressure; communicate effectively; prepare effective reports; coordinate the activities of technical personnel.
Experience with VoIP technologies, Unified Communications and telecommunication concepts, practices and procedures.
Expert analytical skills to triage production incidents.
Personal computer experience and experience using MS Desktop Products (Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.)
Extensive experience in computer systems and data management.
Proficiency in written and oral communication.
SPECIAL PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Strong organizational skills.
Ability to work independently.
Strong customer service skills.
Ability to work under pressure and adjust to changes in priorities or workload.
WORK ENVIRONMENT, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL ABILITIES
Daily use of personal computer, cell phone, fax, copiers and general office equipment.
Frequent use of a laptop and related software applications.
Occasional off-site meetings within Sacramento and occasional out-of-town (within California) meetings that may require the use of various transportation modes, i.e. airplane, taxi, car, etc.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure.
Ability to analyze staff and customer needs and provide assistance.
Communicate positively and cooperatively with all staff.
Works extended hours as needed to meet work commitments.
Ability to walk, to stand, stoop, sit, reach and lift.
Ability to use repetitive hand movements in the performance of daily duties.
Ability to set-up training material for various events.
Ability to handle stress and deadlines.
Understand and follow the DGS Enterprise Technology Solutions Office rules, policies, and procedures at all times.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.