: ASSOCIATE PROGRAMMER ANALYST (SPECIALIST) ($4619-$6074)
Permanent, Full Time
HRO 259 (FY13/14)
This position is subject to the Department of Conservation’s Conflict of Interest Code.
The Associate Programmer Analyst (Specialist) provides business and systems analysis, designs, codes, and tests applications for the Department of
Conservation (DOC). Maintains expertise in business and systems analysis, design, and various system development lifecycle methodologies. Provides
expertise in hardware, software, and various programming languages including, but not limited to, Visual Basic, C#, C++, Python, .NET, Access, Microsoft
SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2012 and a variety of web development and GIS tools. Performs as a project lead or as part of a team under the technical direction
of a Systems Software Specialist III or equivalent.
· Performs as a technical specialist working within the DOC’s development methodology; performs programming and system integration to support critical DOC
· Responsible for system integration projects, collaborates with division staff, server and network support staff, and vendors when resolving complex
system integration problems.
· Performs complex programming and ensures secure database access and data integrity.
· Utilizes available leading-edge technologies to support DOC systems by implementing and supporting e-commerce applications, taking full advantage of
web-enabled access to data, utilizing a n-tier application, and database design.
· Performs unit and system integration testing as well as quality assurance peer reviews.
· Develops and maintains project and technical documentation
· Works independently in analyzing business processes, designing technical and procedural alternatives, and implementing technical solutions.
· Utilizes standard analysis techniques such as data flow diagrams, entity-relationship diagrams, as well as case analysis to document business and
· Conducts technical research for management and staff regarding appropriate hardware and software.
· Maintains expertise on software and hardware solutions, in order to effectively meet DOC’s business objectives.
· Prepares reports and give presentations to colleagues and management.
Excellent writing skills including the ability to write clearly and concisely
Excellent interpersonal skills; personable and tactful in dealing with a variety of circumstances and individuals
Excellent research skills
Demonstrated computer skills
Willingness to assume responsibility for decisions and actions
Ability to communicate with all levels of staff
Ability to exercise sound judgment
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Ability to exercise initiative and flexibility
Ability to organize and establish workload priorities and work well under pressure
Who May Apply:
Individuals who are currently in the classification, eligible for lateral transfer, or with list eligibility. All interested applicants must submit a
standard State Application (STD 678) with original signature and clearly indicate the HR 200 Number and basis of their eligibility in the “Job Title”
portion of the application. Applications will be screened and only the most qualified candidates will be selected for an interview. SROA and Surplus
candidates should attach “surplus letters” to their applications. Training and Development assignments may be considered.
Possession of minimum qualifications may be verified prior to interview and/or appointment. If it is determined an applicant does not meet the minimum
qualifications, the application will be forwarded to the State Personnel Board for review and the applicant’s name may be removed from the eligibility
Location and special requirements:
The position is at the Department’s headquarters in downtown Sacramento, near many amenities including excellent restaurants and major public
transportation hubs. This position is required to work during the Department’s core operating hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and periodic in-state travel may
Please submit a Standard State Application Form 678 indicating HR 200 # 259 to:
Department of Conservation, Human Resources Office, 801 K Street, MS 22-13, Sacramento, CA 95814, Attention: Andrea Derich. Please indicate the HR200 and
position number on your application.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.