Title: ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAM MANAGER I (SUPERVISORY) Salary: $6,275.00 - $7,802.00 Posted: 05/01/2014
Job Description: Appointment to this position is pending control agency approval.
The Pesticide Programs Division is looking for an Environmental Program Manager (EPM I) Specialist, to work under the supervision of the Associate and Assistant Directors and to independently analyze environmental and health-related problems, develop courses of action based on critical or sensitive scientific investigations and studies, and prepare written guidance, policy, planning or regulatory documents and legislative proposals on issues of importance to the Department. The EPM I will review, provide input and summarize for management, scientific research studies of a highly developed scientific scope and complexity; may serve as scientific advisors or consultants in their specific scientific field expertise; and adapt methods, techniques, and procedures to carry out assignments. The EPM I will conduct highly specialized phases of a major scientific project or investigation of sufficient scope to require coordination with professional staff from other State, local, or federal agencies; presents scientific research or investigations conducted to public health experts and the community.
Incumbent must possess the ability to evaluate situations accurately and take effective action, effectively communicate with all stakeholders including environmental groups, pesticide manufacturers, growers, other state agencies, federal agencies and other organizations. Incumbent must also have scientific writing skills, ability to review, evaluate, implement and comment on federal and state laws, regulations and policies.
Critical Job Competencies:
- Communication Leading and managing change; become an agile leader who anticipates change and adapts to it; promote a consistent “outside the box” culture that embraces new and better ideas regardless of challenges.
- Transparency: Build a community of shared values that supports and ensures the fair exchange of information within the organization
- Self-motivation, Optimism, Sustained Commitment, Perseverance, and Patience: Facilitate an open exchange of ideas and opinions; actively listen and avoids conveying mixed messages
- Emotional Intelligence/Interpersonal Awareness
- Coaching/Mentoring/Continual Learning
- Political Acumen: Identify the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization. Perceive organizational and political reality and act accordingly.
- Teamwork: Facilitate and maintain cooperative working relationships. Work toward accomplishment of group goals. Value and encourage the input and expertise of others.
- Project Management: Organize and ensure projects are completed in a timely manner.
This Advertisement may be used for other vacancies that occur during this posting.
This position requires State-wide travel (two-three days per month), including occasional overnight stays. On occasion, this position requires working long hours and over the weekend.
This position is designated Conflict of Interest and requires disclosure of economic interests.
This position requires medical clearance prior to appointment.
For a copy of the duty statement or for questions about the position, please contact, Emily Anderson at Emily.Anderson@cdpr.ca.gov.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants must submit a standard State Application (STD 678) with original signature, clearly stating the position number you are applying for in the “Examination(s) or Job Title(s) For Which You Are Applying” box, a resume that clearly addresses applicable experience and job titles, names and addresses of employer, periods of employment, and education relevant to the desired qualifications and critical job competencies, and respond to the Supplemental Questionnaire. The Supplemental Questionnaire is required in order to be considered for this vacancy. If you do not submit a Supplemental Questionnaire, your application may not be considered.
These supplemental questions are intended to provide more detailed information about your work experiences and will allow the hiring manager to better assess your qualifications for this position.
Responses should be stand alone and should not reference an answer to another question.
The response to all questions should be no more than two page in length, in 12 pt. Times New Roman font. Indicate your name at the top of each page.
1. How would you balance transparency against competing external interests?
2. Describe a situation where you changed a point of view to account for new information or changing priorities.
Note: Resumes, letters, and other materials will not take the place of the Supplemental Questionnaire.
Applications, resumes and Supplemental Questionnaires may be mailed or delivered to the address indicated below no later than the final file date of the this ad May 23,2014.
Applications will not be accepted via fax or email.
Appointment is subject to the provisions of the SROA process; surplus employees need to attach a copy of their surplus status letter. All methods of appointment will be considered.
814 - 005 - 0756 - XXX
Final Filing Date:
Personnel Services Branch 1001 I Street, MS 4B Sacramento 95814
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.