Under the direction of a BTA I, the BTCS works in a high inventory team atmosphere. As part of the team, incumbent develops and provides training to staff. Provides technical advice and assistance to both staff and the general public pertaining to Consumer Use Tax Section (CUTS) programs. Desired personal characteristics of integrity, initiative, dependability and sound judgment. Incumbent must recognize the importance of timely completed staff work, be a quick learner and adaptable to change. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, manual and on-line IRIS reviews and approvals; investigating more difficult CUTS cases; dealing with difficult taxpayers on the telephone and in person; maintaining Excel and Word statistical reports; and overseeing various levels of staff projects. Must be willing to travel an average of four weeks per fiscal year to visit various county assessors’ offices. In the absence of the BTA I, the BTCS is delegated back-up responsibilities. Selected candidate will be given job responsibility, excellent program training and an opportunity to accomplish professional goals in-line with the classification. The position is located in a high-rise building. The position requires the incumbent to be fingerprinted. All applicants will be considered however, SROA/Surplus will be given priority.
If interested, please submit a signed standard state application (STD678) with the position number listed in the examination title section and your eligibility (list, reinstatement, lateral transfer, etc) listed in the explanations section.
Applications will be carefully screened and only the most qualified candidate will be selected for an interview. Chosen candidates will be notified by phone.
In addition to sending the STD678, a typed response to the following supplemental questions is required.
BTCS Supplemental Questions
1. Describe your knowledge of Assembly Bill 1547 and how it impacts use tax transactions for vehicles, vessels and aircraft. Please list the elements required to establish California residency and provide a brief explanation of the types of evidence that may be gathered to support each element.
2. Please explain what criteria a taxpayer needs to meet when requesting a use tax clearance on the grounds that the transfer was to a substantially similar entity. Provide examples of what types of documentation you would request in order to support their claim.
3. The Business Taxes Compliance Specialist appointed to this position will be responsible for training and motivating staff. Describe your experience and skills in a leadership role. Include your experience as a lead person or trainer.
4. Describe your experience in communicating (verbally and in writing) and working with management, Board Members and taxpayers.
5. This position will be responsible for reviewing and approving assignments. Describe your experience in reviewing completed staff work.
Any application packets sent without the above supplemental questions answered will not be eligible.
***Any application packets electronically sent, emailed, or faxed will not be eligible***
290 - 474 - 8694 - 014
HOD/SUTD/Consumer Use Tax Section
Final Filing Date:
HOD/SUTD/Consumer Use Tax Section 450 N Street, MIC: 37 Sacramento, CA 95814
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.