Title: ATTORNEY III Salary: $7,682.00 - $9,857.00 Posted: 03/05/2014
** Please note: The California Health Benefit Exchange/Covered California will be moving to the Cal Expo area in April 2014. Free parking. **
Join us as part of the California Health Benefit Exchange (Exchange), also known as Covered California (CC), a new Department which will improve the health of all Californians by assuring their access to affordable, high quality care. We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated individuals seeking an Attorney III position to join our team.
There is one vacancy in the following Program Area:
Under the general direction of the General Counsel, California Health Benefit Exchange, the Attorney III provides legal advice on a variety of matters pertaining to the Exchange and its programs, contracts, operation, and interfacing with the regulatory agencies.
• Develops strategy and tactics in the most complex disputes or litigation; and may personally perform the most difficult and complex litigation, negotiation, legislative liaison hearings, legal research, and opinion drafting.
• Consults with, advises, and provides legal guidance to the General Counsel, Executive Director, management and staff related to statutory and regulatory requirements applicable to Board deliberations and decisions, including conflict of interest, public records, government codes, and open meeting laws.
• Provides legal advice on the most complex federal, state and private program contracts, agreements or state plans, and related amendments or compliance audits, required by the federal or state legislation creating the California Health Benefit Exchange.
• Advises lead program staff regarding internal systems compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
• Represents the Exchange in administrative hearings. Independently performs or manages the performance of difficult and complex research and preparation of legal arguments for litigation and related purposes.
• Reviews legislation and regulations for legal and program impact; drafts legislation and regulations; interfacing with regulatory agencies; reviews bill analyses for program and administration policy as well as for legal issues.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS / TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
• Background and experience in state and federal administrative law, statutes and program requirements relating to the health insurance market and law related to publicly-financed health coverage.
• Experience advising clients on issues related to privacy of personal information under the California Information Practices Act of 1977, the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), and the California Office of HIPAA Implementation’s guidelines.
• Demonstrate commitment to performing duties in a service-oriented manner.
• Demonstrate commitment to maintaining a work environment free from discrimination and sexual harassment.
• Maintain good work habits and adhere to all policies and procedures.
UNIQUE ALLOCATION FACTORS / SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Incumbent must file a Form 700 under the Board’s Conflicts of Interest Code.
• Incumbent must be a member in good standing in the State Bar of California.
• Incumbent must possess excellent analytical skills, clear writing ability, effective oral communication skills.
The Exchange is fast-paced with a need for creativity, self-motivation and organizational skills. If you are interested in a challenging, opportunity in a highly team oriented environment you are encouraged to apply.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLY:
You must have eligibility in one of the following areas: List, lateral transfer, reinstatement, or surplus.
1. Schedule and take the Attorney III examination. To do so, please view the exam bulletin at: https://jobs.ca.gov/JOBSGEN/9PB08.PDFfor full instructions.
2. Once you have taken and successfully passed the examination, you will be added to the eligibility list.
3. Now you are eligible to apply for a job vacancy for that classification.
4. All applicants must submit a signed Standard State Application (STD 678) to the address provided below.
5. Indicate the basis of your eligibility in the Explanations field on the first page of your standard state application.
SROA/surplus/reemployment employees are encouraged to apply. Surplus candidates must attach a copy of their surplus letter.
All methods of appointment may be considered. Applications will be reviewed based on eligibility and desirable qualifications and only the most qualified will be interviewed.
Benefit information can be found on the CalHR website, www.calhr.ca.gov, and the CalPERS website, www.calpers.ca.gov.
801 - 120 - 5795 - XXX
Will also consider hiring a(n)
ATTORNEY $4,674.00 - $8,141.00
California Health Benefit Exchange/Covered CA
Final Filing Date:
California Health Benefit Exhchange (JB XXX) 560 J Street, Suite 290 Sacramento, CA 95814
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.