The Student Assistant, in a learner capacity, and under the supervision of a Department Manager, performs a variety of entry level technical and/or administrative functions for the Board. Duties may include taxpayer contact by telephone and in person, providing the highest quality customer service to our internal and external customers. Summarize information verbally or in writing for business or technology use. The Student Assistant will be performing work consistent with their course of studies.
Continued enrollment in college courses is required. Students with academic majors related to Auditing, Accounting, Information Technology, Human Resources and Legal are encouraged to apply. The hours are flexible. We have multiple positions, working for the State Board of Equalization in various offices throughout the State of California.
• Work independently under stringent deadlines
• Learn policies and procedures related to the Board of Equalization
• Reason logically and write effectively
• Analyze situations accurately and take appropriate action
• Review reference materials to obtain solutions
• Assist in research, review and other related activities in the office
• Operate personal computer, photocopy machine and other electronic office equipment
• Maintain confidentiality of sensitive matters
• Follow verbal and written instructions
• Work in a high-rise building (some locations)
• Interest in acquiring knowledge of the organization and functions of the Board of Equalization
• Interest in assisting taxpayers with tax issues and understanding their rights
• Proficiency in using personal computer, including the use of various software packages such as Excel, Word and Access
• Good communication skills, both oral and written
• Willingness to adjust to changing assignments and priorities
• Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships
• A demonstrated interest in learning in a professional environment
In a learning capacity, the Student Assistant will: 45% Through the use of a personal computer assist and support department staff. These positions will require interaction with other Board of Equalization staff and offices. 35% Interpret and applies statutes, regulations, policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Federal and State laws and statutes 10% Incumbent may assist a group of professionals with office support including photocopying, faxing, printing, scanning, filing, data entry, tracking and maintenance of various reports and supplies 5% Screen incoming telephone calls and visitors providing accurate and timely customer service. Sort correspondence and distribute to staff 5% other job related duties, as required
Requires Knowledge of:
• General concepts and principals involved in administrative and technical office duties.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must submit all of the following:
• Cover letter
• State Application (STD.678)
• Unofficial transcripts
• Proof of application for, or enrollment in, an appropriate college or university program; and
• List of at least two references
Multiple positions exist for this vacancy, in various locations throughout the State of California.
290 - XXX - 4870 - 900
Human Resources Division, Workforce Planning Section
Final Filing Date:
Human Resources Division, Workforce Planning Sect 450 N Street, MIC: 15 Sacramento, CA 95814
Danette Delgado (916) 323-2868
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.