Title: SYSTEMS SOFTWARE SPECIALIST II (TECHNICAL) Salary: $5,561.00 - $7,310.00 Posted: 12/18/2013
SELECTION CRITERIA - -
• Please submit a completed State Application (STD 678) and resume to the address above
• SROA/Surplus employees are encouraged to apply.
• Transfers, reinstatements, or recruitment from the employment list may be considered. Consideration may be given to applicants on another Department’s employment list, provided the criteria are met to transfer the eligibility from the employment list to DGS’ employment list
• Applications will be evaluated based on eligibility and desirable qualifications and interviews may be scheduled.
The Department of General Services’ (DGS) Core Values are key to the success of the Department’s Mission to “Deliver results by providing timely, cost-effective services and products that support our customers.” The Department of General Services (DGS) expects its employees to adhere to the DGS Core Values of Integrity, Accountability, Communication, Excellence, Innovation and Teamwork. Our employees are expected to perform their duties with these values in mind.
Under the administrative direction of the Enterprise Infrastructure Service Manager (Data Processing Manager III), the incumbent will act as a lead and perform the most complex design, implementation, maintenance, monitoring, and administration of the department’s proposed storage infrastructure, as well as supporting the adjunct technologies in a highly virtualized environment.
All work to be accomplished in accordance with DGS Information Technology Policies and Standards; the State Administrative Manual (SAM) Sections 4800 through 5953 and Sections 6700 through 6780; Department of Finance’s Statewide Information Management Manual (SIMM); California Technology Agency Policies and Standards; Department of Finance’s Desktop and Mobile Computing Policy (DMCP); the State’s IT Security Policy and Standards; and any updates to the above policies and procedures which are addressed through Budget Letters or other methods to ensure compliance with Federal and State government regulations and rules.
Storage Administrator –
• Provide expert technical storage support to Department of General Service (DGS) users by engineering and architecting storage solutions. Demonstrating in depth knowledge of translating requirements into storage selections and layout for time bound, large scaled inititives. Including demonstrated profiecency of storage in a highly virtualized VM Ware enfironment, Fiber Channel SAN hardware, fiber switches, cable connecters and cards.
• Act as the technical lead the System Software Specialist , will work as part of a team of Information Systems Analysts by liasoning with vendor partner to design storage installations and/or upgrades that ensure storage services are provisioned and maintained at appropriate levels.
• Drive the Partnership with Server and Network staff to develop and maintain a highly available storage in a highly virtualized VM Ware Environment.
• Peforms design, configuration, and maintenance of Fiber channel storage devices, including the necessary zoning on switches.
• Design, build, and operate the storage to prevent and troubleshoot performance issues and capacity anomalies.
• Create and produce reports for management which reflect monitoring trends analysis and long-term .
• Perform or assign routine storage maintenaince to ensure maximum availability.
• Set the service level agreements (SLA) and monitor storage performance to prevent down time and meet objective SLA’s.
• Technical lead as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) to research and analyze the most complex technical problems involving storage technology affecting DGS Customers.
• Develops system specifications including operational, security and performance requirements using current technology standards.
• Technical Lead of the Sr ISA who serves as onsite and daily interface with management and solution vendors in the design, configuration, and implementation of project’s with proposed solutions by applying state contract policies, procedures, industry standards, best practices, providing guidance and direction to clients via phone, email or in person on the phases of the implementation project.
Design and Implementation –
• Design and Implement storage strategy for all Divisions supported by DGS.
• Act as technical lead for DGS in statewide initiatives with the ability to make complex decisions that will have significant impacts in costs, design, and infastructure for the state
• Act as (SME) for storage technologies within the Shared Services Team
• Empowered to analyze, estimate, design, and maintain storage systems and services, including SAN solutions by making critical decisions for significant capital expenditures and on going maintenance costs.
• Research, evaluate and recommend storage hardware and software to ensure DGS’s technology infrastructure remains current
• Provide analysis, design, and implementation plans for the future storage enhancements to ensure systems that will support DGS’ mission
• Performs the most complex storage analysis, develops storage system specifications, and select and approve equipment standard that support the business requirements. Oversees the creation and maintenance of storage procurement related documents in order to upgrade and implement systems.
Storage Documentation –
• Leads and ensures the storage staff and VM Ware staffdevelop and document implementation plans for VOIPstorage systems security to ensure an orderly implementation.
• Provides technical expertise to ensure database and server Engineering teams provide documentation to standards.
Storage Security Maintenance –
• Create and maintain a disaster recovery plan so that the DGS storage network is protected
• Provide technical guidance to the Statewide storage staffto plan for future enhancements to ensure systems that will perform efficiently and integrate with statewide standards
• Project management
• Attend team, section and department meetings and training.
• Keep executives, managers and stakeholders informed of status of ongoing projects and tasks.
• Responsible for preparing management reports for status of projects and/or assignments.
• May be called during off duty hours to respond to IT emergencies
Knowledge of: Information technology systems (software) programming equipment, and its capabilities and interfaces between hardware and software, and the requirements for the installation and implementation of the most complex information technology software systems.
Ability to: Write complex programs; develop detailed program specifications; analyze data and situations, reason logically and creatively, identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions; apply creative thinking in the design and development of methods of processing information with information technology systems; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; work under pressure; communicate effectively; prepare effective reports; coordinate the activities of technical personnel.
In depth knowledge of translating requirements into storage selections and layout
Project management experience
Expert analytical skills to triage production incidents.
Experience using MS Desktop Products (Outlook, Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.).
Extensive experience in computer systems and data management.
Proficiency in written and oral communication.
SPECIAL PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
Strong commitment to continuous improvement
Passion for taking initiative, accepting responsibility, and delivering on commitments
Excellent analytical skills.
Excellent communication skills.
Strong organizational skills.
Ability to work independently.
Strong customer service skills.
Ability to work under pressure and adjust to changes in priorities or workload.
WORK ENVIRONMENT, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL ABILITIES
Daily use of personal computer, cell phone, fax, copiers and general office equipment.
Frequent use of a laptop and related software applications.
Occasional off-site meetings within Sacramento and occasional out-of-town (within California) meetings that may require the use of various transportation modes, i.e. airplane, taxi, car, etc.
Arrives to work on time and is fully accountable for working an eight-hour day.
Comes to meetings on time and is fully prepared, including handouts for distribution when appropriate.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure.
Ability to analyze staff and customer needs and provide assistance.
Communicate positively and cooperatively with all staff.
Works extended hours as needed to meet work commitments.
Ability to walk, to stand, stoop, sit, reach and lift.
Ability to use repetitive hand movements in the performance of daily duties.
Ability to set-up training material for various events.
Requires the ability to handle stress and deadlines.
Understand and follow the DGS Enterprise Technology Solutions Office rules, policies, and procedures at all times.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.