Under the direction of a BTA I, the BTCS works in a team atmosphere with six Specialists and four Supervisors. As part of the team, incumbent develops and provides training to staff. Provides technical advice and assistance to both staff and the general public pertaining to Consumer Use Tax Section (CUTS) programs. Desired personal characteristics are integrity, initiative, dependability and sound judgment. Incumbent must recognize the importance of timely completed staff work, be a quick learner and adaptable to change. Specific duties include, but are not limited to, manual and on-line IRIS reviews and approvals; investigating more difficult CUTS cases; dealing with difficult taxpayers on the telephone and in person; maintaining Excel and Word statistical reports; and overseeing various levels of staff projects. Must be willing to travel an average of four weeks per fiscal year to visit various county assessors’ offices. In the absence of the BTA I, the BTCS is delegated back-up responsibilities. Selected candidate will be given job responsibility, excellent program training and an opportunity to accomplish professional goals in-line with the classification. This position is limited term, but may become permanent if the project/workload/status is permanently established.
If interested, please mail a signed standard state application (STD 678). On the application, please clearly list the position number on the examination title area of the application. Also please indicate your eligibility on the explanation area of the application. **Emailed applications will not be accepted** Applications will be carefully screened and only the most qualified candidate will be given an interview. You will receive notice of the interview via phone call. The position is located in a high-rise building. Travel required 10% of the time. The position requires the incumbent to be fingerprinted. All applicants will be considered however, SROA/Surplus will be given priority.
Along with your standard state application (STD 678) please include a typed correspondence to the following questions.
BTCS Supplemental Questions
1. Describe your experience in communicating (verbally and in writing) and working with management, Board Members and taxpayers.
2. The Business Taxes Compliance Specialist appointed to this position will be responsible for training and motivating staff. Describe your experience and skills in a leadership role. Include your experience as a lead person or trainer.
3. This position will be responsible for reviewing and approving assignments. Describe your experience in reviewing completed staff work.
4. Being the lead subject matter expert for a program can be challenging. Provide us with the steps you would take to ensure success in meeting this challenge.
5. Describe your knowledge of Assembly Bill 1547 and how it impacts use tax transactions for vehicles, vessels and aircraft. Please list the elements required to establish California residency and provide a brief explanation of the types of evidence that may be gathered to support each element.
6. Please explain what criteria a taxpayer needs to meet when requesting a use tax clearance on the grounds that the transfer was to a substantially similar entity. Provide examples of what types of documentation you would request in order to support their claim.
290 - 474 - 8694 - 008
SUTD/HOD/Consumer Use Tax Section
Final Filing Date:
SUTD/HOD/Consumer Use Tax Section 450 N Street, MIC: 37 Sacramento, CA 95814
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.