FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Title: PROGRAM SPECIALIST III, FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Salary: $6,775.00 - $8,077.00
**IMPORTANT NOTICE** As required by the department's rules of conduct, all employees of the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) must be in compliance with the California revenue and taxation code. During the background investigation portion of the hiring process, FTB will review return information to verify California state income tax compliance. Any failure to comply with the California revenue and taxation code may prevent you from being hired at FTB. You must verify your filing status by calling 1-800-852-5711 to resolve any potential tax compliance issues, prior to submitting your application and seeking employment with FTB. All applicants not currently employed with the Franchise Tax Board will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The investigation will consist of completion of a pre-employment questionnaire, fingerprinting, and an inquiry to the Department of Justice to disclose criminal records. We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Persons with hearing or speech impairments, call TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Under the general direction of the Section Manager, the Program Specialist III acts as the highest level specialist and technical resource to the Protest Unit management team and staff on matters concerning audit and tax issues, including legislation. Provides expert consultation and advice of audit policies and procedures for handling complex and sensitive protest cases. Acts as a lead for the most complex protest cases. Assists with the review of the Program Specialist II case work. Provides recommendations of audit policy and procedures of the largest and most complex returns of personal income tax, pass-through entities, corporations, or multinational entities. Provides training and development to Hearing Officers on complex tax law issues. Acts as a liaison between the Protest Unit and other Audit Program areas and Legal. Works collaboratively with the Protest Unit management team to achieve the program’s goals.
Applicants from all in-state and out-of-state field offices and central office are encouraged to apply.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS :
WHO MAY APPLY :
- Strong technical knowledge of California and federal tax laws, regulations, policies and procedures applicable to personal income tax, pass through entities, or multistate corporations
- Strong knowledge of the organization and operation of FTB programs
- Strong knowledge of FTB Audit tax policies, procedures and practices
- Ability to recognize a change in tax laws, rules and/or regulations that would impact the tax programs and the ability to lead staff through the changing processes or programs
- Excellent communication skills - oral, written, and good listener
- Excellet interpersonal skills - ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others
- Strong leadership and staff development skills - ability to promote trust and credibility with staff and peers
- Ability to communicate ideas, opinions, and suggestions; openly and honestly with the management team and peers
- Maintain a positive attitude and demonstrate the ability to support the program’s vision and goals
- Demonstrated initiative
- Ability to be objective and impartial in analyzing facts and making recommendations
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritize work to meet objectives and timelines
- Ability to present the Department’s position on unique and precedent setting audit issues and policies
- Ability to travel and work away from home
Current state employees with status in the above classification or lateral transfers from an equivalent class, former state employees who can reinstate into this class or persons who are reachable on a current employment list for this classification. A training and development assignment (T & D) may also be considered. All appointments are subject to SROA/Surplus hiring provisions. Surplus candidates must submit an application packet as outlined in this bulletin with a copy of their surplus status letter in order to be considered.
HOW TO APPLY :
Interested applicants must submit ALL of the following documents:
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION :
In order to be considerd for this position, interested applicants must submit a supplemental application. Your response must be no more than one type written page in length, using 12 point font, 1 inch margins and include your first and last name in the upper right hand corner of the page. Respond to the following supplemental question:
*A completed application includes the position title, position number and contact person’s name in the job title line, and must be signed. Candidates who do not submit all of the required documents (incomplete application packages) will be eliminated from the selection process. All submitted information will be screened and the most qualified candidates will be invited to an interview. FTB EMPLOYEES MUST HAND DELIVER OR ROUTE TO: Mimi Fitzsimon at M/S F-380. Candidates not currently employed by the Franchise Tax Board must send their application package to the address shown below. Multiple positions may exist for this vacancy.
- Working with your management team to develop policies, and consistency in the application of procedures is part of the responsibilites for this position. Provide an example when you made a recommendation that was not supported by your management team.
- What was the recommendation?
- How did you communicate it?
- What steps did you take to obtain buy-in?
- How did you handle the lack of support?
- What was the outcome?
- Please include the following:
- Employer(s) name
- Your position/title(s)
- How long you held the position(s)
- A supervisor’s name and phone number who can verify the information
|Lead Hearing Officer
||564 - 392 - 4366 - 001
|APPA, Protest Section
|Final Filing Date:
P.O. Box 550
Sacramento, CA 95812-0550
Background Check Required
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.