APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE POSITION NUMBER AND SOURCE OF ELIGIBILITY (list eligibility/score, SROA, lateral, reinstatement, etc.). *Free Parking* If you require confirmation of receipt of your application, please send certified mail. All methods of appointment may be considered for this position. No faxed or e-mailed applications will be accepted. The duty statement for this position is included below in its entirety.
Supervision: Under the general direction of the System Software Specialist III (Supervisor) within the SOMS Application Unit, the incumbent is responsible for Business Intelligence (BI) of the SOMS application.
Knowledge: This is the journey level and the incumbents at this level are expected to adhere to and enforce EIS data processing concepts, practices, methods, and principles; as well as accepted industry practices and standards. The incumbent should have expert knowledge of the requirements, functional capabilities, and configurable elements of the SOMS application and basic knowledge of the business the software supports. The incumbent must possess an ability to work independently while intentionally developing relationships with key stakeholders of the SOMS application. Interactions with business/program subject matter experts and other EIS technical staff require the incumbents to demonstrate the basic competencies associated with good communication and team leadership.
Guidelines: The incumbent should utilize initiative, creativity and resourcefulness in making recommendations for new policies, system enhancements, or configuration changes. In addition to state and federal laws and guidelines, the incumbent must adhere to CDCR policy regarding behavior or conduct on the job.
Scope and Effect: The incumbent performs technical work to configure the SOMS/BI application where the results affect substantial numbers of people. The incumbent must have a solid understanding of data modeling techniques, demonstrate competence in a general analytical role and demonstrate technical or team leadership with a high degree of versatility. The incumbent may review requests for change (application enhancements, application defects, infrastructure changes) submitted by business and technical stakeholders on a daily basis; works with Requirements Management team to assess the impact of the change to the SOMS/BI application and infrastructure components; works with technical and business subject matter experts to determine priority, severity, and impact of proposed changes; communicates impact information to stakeholders via meetings and written correspondence. The incumbent executes EIS procedures and enforces policies for introducing change into SOMS controlled production and staging environments; assists team members and customers to follow policies and procedures; assists in performing updates and obtaining approvals for Change Management processes and procedures; responsible for providing customer guidance and support for production and project release/change control processes; assists in maintaining and distributing the enterprise change calendar; assists in impact analysis for production and staging environments, including interfaces with other business applications and infrastructure components.
This duty statement attempts to identify the most significant responsibilities, but acknowledges that there may be other activities as required that make up the balance and totality of the job.
Complexity: The incumbent will utilize a range of new design techniques optimized for BI data structures and must be capable of teaching these new techniques to the project level designers. This role requires advanced skills in data design and physical implementation of databases.
Personal Contact: The incumbents work with managers, technical staff, contractors and systems users to provide and make recommendations regarding systems and problems requiring solutions. The incumbents must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing with subordinates, peers, clients, and customers at all levels. Additionally, the incumbent will have regular contact with: Adult Institutions, Parole, Juvenile Justice Facilities, Headquarters, external Agencies, and Audit Groups.
Specific responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities include the following:
50% Requirements Management, Data Modeling, Q&A
• Works with the business reps and analysts to translate reporting requirements into conceptual, logical and physical data models with a thorough understanding of the source system data models and the Data Warehouse star schema. Participates in the design, development, implementation and support of these data models.
• Works with the business reps, business analysts and data owners to resolve data quality (DQ) issues. Helps the Department’s Enterprise Architecture team in defining data standards and develop metadata model and data lineage.
• Supports multiple projects in building new data sets and data structures as required, and for managing the distribution, replication and archiving of data throughout the enterprise.
• Technical lead that analyzes and executes configuration changes in the SOMS application.
• Participant in the development of use cases, test cases, or other validation efforts
• Participates with EIS and Contract programmers in development of enhancements and modifications to the SOMS BI application.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
• Ability to work efficiently and professionally with customers
30% Project Management
• Understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
• Understanding of Change Management, Configuration Management, and Release Management processes
• Status Reporting to unit supervisor, including statistics on workload
• Reviews and provides input to governance process documentation (i.e., Change Control Board (CCB) or Release Control Board (RCB) documentation)
• Participates in Change Control Board (CCB) meetings; Release Control Meetings
• Participates in the development and review of Request for Proposals (RFP), Feasibility Study Reports (FSR), Post-Implementation Evaluations & Review (PIER) as needed
• Prepares or participates in the preparation of project plans and proposals
• Ability to meet critical deadlines
• Ability to manage multiple assignments with changing priorities
• Generally responsibility for enforcing and maintaining standards to guide development efforts of CDCR
20% Methodologies, Standards, Training and Other
• Participates in development of division-wide methodologies and standards
• Participates in project or unit staff meetings
• Participates in user training activities
• Mentors junior data analysts
• Prepares written documentation in a variety of formats including but not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Project, and Visio
LIMITED TERM MAY BECOME PERMANENT
ALL HIRES ARE SUBJECT TO HIRING FREEZE AND/OR BUDGET APPROVAL
|STAFF INFORMATION SYSTEMS ANALYST (SPECIALIST)
||065 - 648 - 1312 - 001
|1920 Birkmont, Rancho Cordova
|Final Filing Date:
|STRATEGIC OFFENDER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
1940 Birkmont Drive
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
EIS Human Resources@cdcr.ca.gov
MAY BECOME PERMANENT