Title: BUILDING MAINTENANCE WORKER Salary: $3,186.00 - $3,672.00 Posted: 06/06/2014
THE CALIFORNIA SCIENCE CENTER HAS THE POSSIBILITY OF UP TO TWO (2) VANCANCIES. A Standard Form #678 application must be completed when applying for job with a state department. All Standard Form #678 applications must be complete before it can be processed. Please adhere to the following guidelines when completing your application. Incomplete or late applications will automatically be returned.
• PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATIONS VIA US POSTAL SERVICE/COMPARABLE DELIVERY SERVICE, OR IN PERSON.
• PLEASE SPECIFY THE JOB CLASSIFICATION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR AND UNDER THE SECTION: ‘EXPLANATIONS’, INCLUDE THE BASIS OF YOUR ELIGIBLITY (I.E. (1) LIST ELIGIBILITY, (2) TRANSFER, (3) STATE RESTRICTION ON EMPLOYMENT (SROA), (4) SURPLUS, (5) GENERAL RE-EMPLOYMENT, OR (6) REINSTATEMENT.
• PLEASE CHECK AND FILL-OUT ALL SECTIONS.
• APPLICATION MUST HAVE AN ORIGINAL SIGNATURE AND DATE.
• INCLUDE A DESCRIPTION OF YOUR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES IN THE SPACE PROVIDED ON THE APPLICATION. IF ADDITIONAL SPACE IS NEEDED, ATTACH ADDITIONAL PAGE. (NOTE: RESUMES MAY NOT BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE)
VITAE OR RESUME MAY BE ATTACHED AS SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION.
The Building Maintenance Worker, under General Supervision from the Supervisor of Building Trades:
• Performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance, alteration and repair of buildings and related facilities and equipment. Assists other trades in the construction of buildings, sheds, stairways, fences, partitions, cabinets (metal and wood), drip boxes, forms, building frames and shelves. Assists in erecting walls, roofing, framing, scaffolding, netting for birds and concrete forms. Installs window frames, sashes, screens, doorframes, doors, screens, siding, floors, roofs, insulation and vinyl and ceramic tile, exterior finishes and trims. Repairs sidewalks and asphalt, doors, furniture, flooring, cabinets, window blinds, walls and other structural and non-structural components.
• Assists electrician in digging trenches, running wiring, installing switches breakers, pipes and conduit. Replaces light bulbs in a variety of lighting units. Assists electricians in electrical maintenance and repairs. Replaces light bulbs in a variety of lighting units
• Assists plumbers in installing pipes, pumps, valves, controls and pump drains.
• Assists stationary engineers in repairs to a variety of mechanical and electrical systems including centrifugal and reciprocating chiller systems and associated pumps and equipment; fire safety systems; air compressors; heat exchangers; centrifugal and positive displacement pumps; meters electrical and mechanical; electronic components; valves; piping; blowers; flow meters, gauges, oxygen acetylene and electrical welding equipment.
• Assists other trades people with a variety of semi-skilled assignments; and assist or work alongside external contractors.
• The incumbent participates and displays knowledge of safety procedures and practices which include, but are not limited to, internal reporting of incidents, mitigating workplace hazards and applying safe work practices.
• The incumbent participates and is responsible for various administrative tasks including tracking attendance, daily work logs and work assignments via computerized work orders.
• Provides responsive, high quality customer service to employees representatives of outside agencies, and members of the public by providing accurate, complete and up-to-date information, in a courteous, efficient and timely manner. Maintains tools, equipment, work and storage areas in clean, organized and operable condition. Other duties as required
Who Should Apply: Current state employees in the Building Maintenance Worker classification or those who are eligible on a state certification list (please submit proof of eligibility); transfers from the Building Maintenance position, or reinstatements from the Building Maintenance Worker position may apply for this vacancy. The California Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEO). Only the most qualified candidates will be interviewed.
NOTE: Appointment to this position is subject to medical and DOJ background clearance.
Building Maintenance Worker
314 - 204 - 6215 - xxx
California Science Center
Final Filing Date:
State Human Resources 700 Exposition Park Drive Los Angeles 90037
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.