PARKS AND RECREATION, DEPARTMENT OF
Title: STAFF SERVICES MANAGER II (SUPERVISORY)
Salary: $5,576.00 - $6,727.00
Notice: If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility.
The reporting location for this position is One Capitol Mall in Sacramento. This position will work under the direction of the Chief Deputy Director of Boating and Waterways. The Staff Services Manager II is responsible for the operation and success of the Department’s boating education and safety, law enforcement, abandoned watercraft, and licensing of yacht and ship broker and for-hire operator licensing programs. This position requires regular travel within California and periodic travel outside of California. In addition, this position requires regular participation in boating related media and other events, particularly during boating season. This position performs the following duties:
• Supervises the following Department programs: Boating Education, Safety, and Law Enforcement; Abandoned Watercraft, Licensing of Yacht and Ship Brokers, and for-Hire Operators; and Regulations Development and Review. Supervises unit supervisors.
• Establishes project and activity plans and timelines. Oversees program and fiscal policy development, analysis, and interpretation; and field, event, and training operations. Guides development of information and quantitative data to assess, make recommendations for, and justify needed changes in programs. Ensures ongoing training and development of unit staff.
• Makes presentations to and meets with Department and Agency Management, Control Agencies, legislative staff, Boating and Waterways Commission, and boating community. Explains and promotes the department’s education and safety programs. Represents the Department at meetings and events, and may testify before government bodies.
• Carries out the most complex and politically sensitive assignments, including legislative and budget planning and analysis. Coordinates assigned cross-cutting issues, including representing the department on committees, etc.
• Assists in developing Department initiatives, annual budget, and legislative proposals.
• Stays up to date on relevant program policies and trends and analytical, oversight, and evaluation tools and measures.
• Strong supervisory and management experience.
• Strong policy and fiscal background, including program, policy, and fiscal analysis; contract development; regulations development; program evaluations; and quantitative and evaluation methods.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Experience working with the media and working external events.
• Experience working in education; as a trainer; with law enforcement; in a State licensing program.
• Knowledge of boating, green environmental and water programs, and Delta programs.
• Ability to make reasoned and logical funding recommendations.
• Ability to provide technical assistance orally and in writing; establish priorities among competing requirements; and work well with management, staff, and stakeholders.
• Experience testifying before public bodies.
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from current state employees at the Staff Services Manager II level, those within transfer range, or individuals who have list eligibility. Training and Development Assignments may be considered for certain classifications only if necessitated for recruitment purposes. All applications will be reviewed; however only the most qualified candidates will be interviewed. All applicants must clearly indicate the basis of their eligibility (i.e., reinstatement, transfer, or list eligibility) on state application.
ALL APPOINTMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO THE STATE RESTRICTION OF APPOINTMENT (SROA) PROVISIONS
This position is designated in the Department’s Conflict of Interest Code under Category 2. Therefore the successful candidate must file a Form 700 (Statement of Economic Interests) upon appointment and annually thereafter.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send a completed standard State Application (Std. 678) and a Statement of Qualifications (not to exceed two typed/written pages) to the contact address listed below. Please note the position number on the application and include any necessary documentation required to be eligible for the job.
State housing is not available. For further information regarding this position, please contact Margarita Sanchez at (916) 327-1778.
||549 - 700 - 4801 - 001
|Division of Boating and Waterways
|Final Filing Date:
1416 9th Street, Room 1018
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.