Under the general direction of the Staff Services Manager I/District Office Support Manager in the Vocational Rehabilitation Employment Division, District Operational Support, the Staff Services Analyst (functional job title of Work Incentives Planner) performs a variety of analytical duties related to benefits and work incentives planning for Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) consumers who receive Supplemental Security Income and/or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSI/SSDI) benefits. The Work Incentives Planner (WIP) will assist DOR consumers who are SSI/SSDI beneficiaries make informed choices regarding the impact of employment on public benefits including cash and health benefits, available work incentives, and reporting of wages and work incentives usage. This includes providing one-on-one work incentives planning, assistance and outreach services to Social Security beneficiaries with disabilities who want to work.
The goal is to assist SSI/SSDI consumers to successfully enter the workforce and increase their self-sufficiency by providing clear, accurate and credible analysis and information about the impact of work on benefits; providing access to work incentives; providing referrals to other supports such as Ticket to Work Employment Networks and/or appropriate community based organizations; and assisting with issues or problems related to benefits that may arise as the individual begins working. Responsibilities also include case reporting and recording in a manner that will meet and/or exceed all standards established by the DOR. The WIP will function within internal and external teams to deliver seamless services and to ensure that positive relationships are maintained resulting in the optimum outcome for SSI/SSDI consumers.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills which will allow the employee to effectively and professionally communicate with beneficiaries of Social Security and other individuals over the telephone, in writing and in person, including but not limited to Department of Rehabilitation counselors/team members, governmental agencies, Employment Networks and other service providers/entities involved in the Social Security beneficiary’s return to work effort;
• Effective advocacy and problem solving skills;
• Mathematical calculation proficiency;
• Knowledge of vocational rehabilitation, employment and training;
• Sensitivity to individual needs, such as barriers created by disability, language, or culture (Bilingual/bicultural helpful but not required);
• Excellent Interpersonal skills, which will allow the employee to maintain productive working relationships with all staff members and to work in an interdisciplinary team with other professionals; and
• Excellent organizational skills, which will allow the employee to manage multiple priorities and tasks and allow the employee to meet self imposed and externally set deadlines.
Who May Apply:
Individuals who have list, transfer or reinstatement eligibility for appointment to the above class. In order to be considered for this position, please state the basis of your eligibility (e.g., transfer, list, reinstatement) in Section 12 of the application (Form STD 678). Employment provisions as outlined by the Department of Personnel Administration's State Restriction of Appointments (SROA) policy will prevail. May also consider a Training & Development assignment when applicable.
Note: This is a 12 month limited term position. With budget approval, this position may be extended up to an additional 12 months.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.