STATE AND CONSUMER SERVICES AGENCY
Title: STAFF SERVICES MANAGER I
Salary: $5,079.00 - $6,127.00
*****PENDING CALHR APPROVAL*****
The Business, Consumer Services & Housing Agency employees are impacted by the 2012 Personal Leave Program (PLP 2012) which provides for one day a month of leave through July 2013. The salary reduction from the base salary rates above is 4.62%
SELECTION CRITERIA –
• Please submit a completed State Application (STD 678)
• Transfers or reinstatements may be considered. Consideration may be given to applicants who are on an employment list
• Applications will be evaluated and only the most qualified may be interviewed.
• SROA/Surplus employees are encouraged to apply.
Under the general direction of the Deputy Secretary of Legislation, Business, Consumer Services & Housing Agency, the incumbent functions as a non-supervisory legislative specialist and is responsible for the following duties:
Review all bill analyses and Enrolled Bill Reports prepared by the Agency’s eight member departments for accuracy, thoroughness and consistency with Administration policy. Provide instructions for revision to program management for implementation by program staff. Perform additional research and rewrite analyses as needed. Monitor and coordinate the analyses of state legislation amongst Agency departments and ensure the timely submission of analyses to the Secretary of the Business, Consumer Services and Housing Agency.
Coordinate the development of the Agency’s legislative program, including advising the Deputy Secretary, Undersecretary and Secretary on the political feasibility, risks, and strategy related to Agency departments’ proposals. Responsible for coordinating the proposal through the legislative process. Drafts and oversees the review and final editing of issue papers, fact sheets, and legislative correspondence and recommends specific action or inaction.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Continued)
Acts as the primary liaison to coordinate the development of policies and procedures for new legislation and provides legislative background and intent to ensure relevant content, accuracy and compliance for effective implementation. Collaborates with staff on an ongoing basis to identify updates and provide input and/or advice on revisions; participates in executive staff meetings to keep senior management staff apprised of policy issue status.
Represent the Agency at meetings with individual legislators, legislative staff and representatives of various advocacy groups. Negotiate amendments to bills and/or resolutions to issues. Advise the Deputy Secretary, Undersecretary and Secretary of political implications of adopting positions recommended by departments and make alternative recommendations as appropriate. Prepare written and oral status reports on legislation of interest. Advise department management regarding legislative perspectives, processes, protocols, strategies and tactics.
Provide assistance to and acts as alternate for the Deputy Secretary of Legislation in representing the Agency or its departments to the Legislature and other interest group representatives. Act as a liaison between the Agency and Agency departments, Governor’s Office, Department of Finance, members of the Legislature and committee staff, and various organizations/advocacy groups.
Selected participation in various legislative activities to ensure proper coverage for vacation or illness, including appearing at legislative hearings. Prepares and delivers presentations on legislative issues when requested.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Principles, practices, and trends of public and business administration, including management and supportive staff services such as budget, personnel, management analysis, planning, program evaluation, or related areas; principles and practices of employee supervision, development, and training; program management; formal and informal aspects of the legislative process; the administration and department's goals and policies; governmental functions and organization at the State and local level;
Reason logically and creatively and utilize a variety of analytical techniques to resolve complex governmental and managerial problems; develop and evaluate alternatives; analyze data and present ideas and information effectively both orally and in writing; consult with and advise administrators or other interested parties on a wide variety of subject-matter areas; gain and maintain the confidence and cooperation of those contacted during the course of work; review and edit written reports, utilize interdisciplinary teams effectively in the conduct of studies; manage a complex Staff Services program; establish and maintain project priorities; develop and effectively utilize all available resources;
SPECIAL PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• Analyze situations and adopt effective course of action.
• Demonstrated ability to act independently, open-mindedness, flexibility and tact.
• Maintain confidentiality of sensitive, related work.
• Focus attention to detail and follow-through.
• Excellent organizational skills
Previous experience in the following areas:
• Acting as a subject matter expert on critical, sensitive and technical provisions in legislative bills.
• Applying a high level of discretion and professionalism as a department representative at various meetings and forums.
• Consulting with and advising administrators or other interested parties on legislative issues.
• Appearing before legislative and other committee hearings.
• Coordinating the work of various stakeholders to achieve timely and accurate reports and analyses to be used by the Legislature in ensuring the passage of Administration sponsored bills.
• Follow directions and handle multiple tasks.
• Communicate effectively with the public and all levels of staff (both state and local).
• Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional attitude when dealing with people.
• Work well as a team member.
WORK ENVIRONMENT, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL ABILITIES
• Appropriate attire for professional office environment.
• Fast-paced office environment with frequent deadlines and changing priorities.
• Willing to work overtime as needed.
• Ability to track work closely.
• Consistently exercise good judgment.
|Staff Services Manager I (Specialist)
||015 - 850 - 4800 - xxx
|Final Filing Date:
|State and Consumer Services Agency
915 Capitol Mall, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95814
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.