Title: SYSTEMS SOFTWARE SPECIALIST III (TECHNICAL) Salary: $6,110.00 - $7,796.00 Posted: 03/22/2013
Please reference RPA #5967 and state eligibility on your application
The Department of General Services is subject to the Personal Leave Program 2012/2013
(PLP 2012/2013), effective July 1, 2012 for 12 consecutive pay periods through June 2013.
The salary reduction is 4.62% less the base salary rate above.
SELECTION CRITERIA -
• SROA/Surplus employees are encouraged to apply.
• Transfers, reinstatements, or recruitment from the employment list may be considered. Consideration may be given to applicants on another Department’s employment list, provided the criteria are met to transfer the eligibility from the employment list to DGS’ employment list.
• Applications will be evaluated based on eligibility and desirable qualifications and interviews may be scheduled.
All work to be accomplished in accordance with State laws, policies and procedures utilizing the California Government Code (GC), Public Contract Code (PCC), California Code of Regulations (CCR), State Information Management Manual (SIMM), State Administrative Manual (SAM), Governor’s Executive Orders (EO), Management Memos (MM), Budget Letters (BL), Administrative Orders (AO), and State Information Technology (IT) Governance Guidelines.
Under the administrative direction of the Chief Technology Officer, the incumbent serves as the principal technical lead for providing DGS with the most complex software, driver, and OS deployments across a number of hardware and network platforms. The incumbent must have the highest level of expertise in several technology domains (i.e. packaging, scripting, programming, security, network, server, virtualization, etc.) and be able to work, communicate and lead diverse matrix teams. The incumbent is required to develop automation solutions which utilize cutting edge technologies to reduce redundant task, simplify complex lengthy install processes to an unattended or self-service solution. The incumbent will be part of the Enterprise Architecture team responsible for developing the technical road map, ensuring standards, security and compatibility, as well as assisting in the most complex trouble shooting and problem resolution when top level support engineers cannot resolve the issue. br>
Service, Software Automation Specialist
• Provide the technical lead in the formulation and interpretation of the most complex policies, procedures, and guidelines for planning, development, and implementation. The goal is to provide the secure, cost effective, single standard of computing service to DGS’s user community. Shall participate actively in conferences and meetings to resolve conflict while proposing, and ensuring Departmental standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (continued)
• Tasks are performed in accordance with the customers’ business goals and objectives using industry standard tools; Microsoft SCCM, Alteris, application packaging technologies including MSI, Wise Script Editor, Wise InstallShield. Using various scripting languages like; VBS, Batch, PowerShell, ScriptIT, AutoIT, or AppleScript and/or Open Source Enterprise Management Software.
• Numerous special projects occur that cover a wide range of technical areas. Areas may include hardware and software evaluation and deployment, procurement/vendor coordination, virus prevention/cleanup, scripting, and testing (images, patches, developed applications, configurations, etc.).
• Knowledge and capabilities in project management planning, analysis, development, and implementation is critical for success. Ability to oversee, schedule, and manage multiple projects/tasks with frequently changing priorities and deadlines. Flexibility is necessary and extensive knowledge and skills in multiple disciplines are required. Must work cooperatively with programmers, analysts, users and management to resolve complex operational issues
• Monitor and evaluate project performance and accomplishments to assess overall effectiveness and efficiency. Oversee configuration, change, and risk management processes for projects/tasks as needed.
• Effectively communicate with team members and DGS personnel on objectives, deliveries, and time schedules.
• Facilitate the identification, documentation, clarification, and simplification of work processes.
• Responsible for leading in the development and architecture of desktops, laptops, mobile solutions, assets management, remote management, licensing strategies, enterprise software and security management.
• Participate on change management control board and assist in the interpretation and decision making of policy and guidelines.
Desktop Strategies and Support
• Analyze, develop, test, recommend, and implement new automation strategies (software/configurations/tools/etc) for Department desktops/ laptops.
• Provide research on products, best practices and industry trends to minimize DGS support cost and keep the department on “cutting-edge” technology.
• Provide 3rd level support for Department computers and equipment. 3rd Level support is the most complex and pervasive problems that cannot be resolved by Help Desk staff, Field Support staff, and 2nd Level Engineers.
Development, Scripting, Packaging
• Plan, prototype, evaluate, benchmark and implement the most complex emerging technology products for business purposes.
• Design, develop, and test scripts and packages for desktop computers. The majority of packages involve the software, patches and updates that are necessary for the desktop environment. Familiarity with application deployment packaging technologies (MSI, Wise Script Editor, Wise InstallShield). Create global OS (Windows) images and use SysPrep/Ghost to package and distribute the desktop OS.
• Understanding of the most complex desktop, network, and enterprise security. Experience with desktop virus products such as Microsoft FrontPage, Symantec/ MacAfee AntiVirus, Webroot Spy Sweeper, and other virus prevention and removal procedures. OS security procedures and best practices knowledge is important when developing enterprise defenses. Assist in the development of Policy and Best Practices to protect the department PC investment.
Documentation, Training, and Knowledge Transfer
• Ability to create requirements, analysis, design, test, service definition, operations, processes, planning, budget, policy, training, and other documentation consistent with the support of a hosting environment.
• Provide detailed documentation and reporting on all projects and tasks.
• Develop and/or coordinate and implement documentation and/or training for technical staff or DGS personnel on new technology being deployed.
• Enter time into PAL, time-keeping system.
• Attend team, section and department meetings and training.
• Keep supervisors and other interested parties informed of status of ongoing projects and tasks.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: Information technology systems (software) programming, equipment, and its capabilities and interfaces between hardware and software; and the requirements for the installation and implementation of the most complex information technology software systems.
Ability to: Write complex programs; develop detailed program specifications; analyze data and situations, reason logically and creatively, identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions; apply creative thinking in the design and development of methods of processing information with information technology systems; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; work under pressure; communicate effectively; prepare effective reports; coordinate the activities of technical personnel.
• Strong scripting capabilities using various scripting languages such as: VBS, Batch, PowerShell, ScriptIT, AutoIT, or AppleScript.
• Proficient in 1 or more programming language (i.e. C,C++, C#, VB).
• Knowledge of Java (J2EE) and .NET.
• Working knowledge of PHP development and basic SQL knowledge and database application development.
• Strong judgment and ability to work in a team environment, excellent communication skills, Organization skills, Good interpersonal skills.
• Problem solver –ability to sort through complex issues and conducts comparative analysis of multiple solutions.
• Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering, Web Development or programming
• Experience with ITIL is a plus.
• Experience with managing an Enterprise Desktop environment with SCCM, Alteris, AD or like tools .
• Operating system image creation, maintenance and deployment including Ghost, Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, and SCCM.
• Application deployment packaging technologies (MSI, Wise Script Editor, Wise InstallShield).
• Knowledge of networking standards, protocols, security, troubleshooting, and performance tuning.
• Knowledgeable about IT processes including software development life cycle.
• Knowledge of international web standards and protocols.
• Experience working in an Agile or Lean environment.
• Experience working in an IT Service Management environment (e.g. ITIL).
• Familiarity with Remedy.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.