FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Title: TAX AUDITOR, FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Salary: $3,106.00 - $4,903.00
**IMPORTANT NOTICE** As required by the department's rules of conduct, all employees of the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) must be in compliance with the California revenue and taxation code. During the background investigation portion of the hiring process, FTB will review return information to verify California state income tax compliance. Any failure to comply with the California revenue and taxation code may prevent you from being hired at FTB. You must verify your filing status by calling 1-800-852-5711 to resolve any potential tax compliance issues, prior to submitting your application and seeking employment with FTB. All applicants not currently employed with the Franchise Tax Board will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The investigation will consist of completion of a pre-employment questionnaire, fingerprinting, and an inquiry to the Department of Justice to disclose criminal records. We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Persons with hearing or speech impairments, call TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Under the direction of an administrator, the Tax Auditor Lead: Review work produced by Tax Technicians on your team, evaluate work of team members and recommend actions to improve work quality, provides technical guidance to your team members, conducts the least to moderately difficult audits, identify, design, and conduct training programs to develop technical abilities and disseminate procedural changes, communicate progress & performance evaluations orally and in writing with team members, manage and assign workload flow within your team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS :
WHO MAY APPLY :
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills to obtain cooperation from taxpayers, representatives, team members, and management.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to analyze information and draw sound, well documented conclusions.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to be flexible in response to changing workloads and priorities.
- Ability to lead a team with diverse experiences and abilities.
- Ability to gather information from multiple sources, understand and interpret tax law, contracts, and documents and make appropriate recommendations.
- Experience using Microsoft Desktop Products, such as Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Experience using database systems: PAWS, CP2000, FedStar, TI, ADCORR.
- Energetic with a positive attitude.
- Proficient in tax law and general research.
- Experience working with personal income taxes.
- Experience auditing or conducting financial examinations of taxpayer's accounts and records.
- Familiarity using database systems: PASS & BETS.
Current state employees with status in the above classification or lateral transfers from an equivalent class, former state employees who can reinstate into this class or persons who are reachable on a current employment list for this classification. To apply for this job opportunity as a list candidate, you must first take the online Tax Auditor Exam. A training and development assignment (T & D) will also be considered. All appointments are subject to SROA/Surplus hiring provisions. Surplus candidates must submit an application packet as outlined in this bulletin with a copy of their surplus status letter in order to be considered.
HOW TO APPLY :
Interested applicants must submit ALL of the following documents:
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION :
In order to be considered for these positions, interested applicants must submit a supplemental application. Your response must be no more than two type-written page in length, using 12-point font (Arial or Times New Roman) one-inch margins and include your first and last name in the upper right-hand corner. Please respond to the following supplemental statement:
*A completed application includes the position title, position number and contact person’s name in the job title line. Candidates who do not submit all of the required documents (incomplete application packages) will be eliminated from the selection process. All submitted information will be screened and the most qualified candidates will be invited to an interview. FTB EMPLOYEES MUST HAND DELIVER OR ROUTE TO: Fernando Castro at MS F-371. Candidates not currently employed by the Franchise Tax Board must send their application package to the address shown below.
- As a tax auditor, you can be in an adversarial relationship with taxpayers and their representatives. Please discuss a situation which required you to present an unfavorable outcome to another party to resolve a problem. Please explain:
- What were the factors to this problem?
- What steps did you take to resolve the problem?
- How did you persuade the other party to agree with you?
- What was the final outcome?
- If you were a manager, what feedback would you give yourself now on how you handled the problem then?
|Tax Auditor, Lead
||564 - 348 - 4362 - 001
|Federal & State Special Audit Section
|Final Filing Date:
P.O. Box 550
Sacramento, CA 95812-0550
Background Check Required
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.