DUTIES: Under the general direction of the Labor Relations Manager I, the incumbent performs the full range of labor relations functions as noted below.
•Grievance and Arbitration: Assist management with first step/level grievance responses including participation in informal discussions involving potential union issues. Investigate and formulate written responses to grievances that are elevated to the second level/step. Assist the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) with third level/step appeals and arbitrations. Participate, as needed, with internal investigations and hearings on labor relations matters. Work closely with Office of Equal Opportunity, Employee Performance Office, and Legal office in an effort to resolve issues at the lowest possible level.
• Collective Bargaining Negotiations: Represent the CDE, including the State Special Schools, on any statewide management negotiating team for all assigned bargaining units. Ensure that CDE management needs, concerns and objectives are understood and considered by CalHR and its negotiators. Prepare and present to CalHR any management proposals and counterproposals. Report to executive level management, in confidence, on the status of negotiations; gather information and prepare cost and other analysis during negotiations and mediations as required. Position will have a certain level of delegated authority to make decisions on behalf of the CDE on labor issues raised by employee organizations.
• Impact Bargaining: Serve as chief negotiator for the CDE for determined meet and confers. This is done with high-level representatives of various employee organizations. Must fully understand the Ralph C. Dills Act and apply labor relations principles when carrying out duties. Incumbent must make decisions on an independent basis and must have thorough knowledge of the departmental issues and their impact on CDE operations.
• Program Administration: Responsible for support and assistance to CDE management on various programs, including but not limited to; the Family Medical Leave Program, Transfer of Leave Program, Federal Drug Testing Program, Union Leave Program including billing resolution; Legislative Analysis and other programs as deemed necessary. Work closely with the State Special Schools on academic calendars and programs.
• Policy /Training Development and Implementation: Interpret, administer and analyze laws, rules and collective bargaining agreements relating to the CDE workforce and identify supervisory/managerial training needs. Develop new policies or revise existing policies as changes in laws and/or MOU’s dictate. Ensure the successful implementation of such policies and training programs.
• Knowledge of the collective bargaining process
• Knowledge of State and Federal labor laws applicable to the public sector
• Ability to work effectively with all levels of management
• Knowledge of the Ralph C. Dills Act
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
WHO MAY APPLY: Individuals who have eligibility for appointment to the above class (e.g., transfer, list, reinstatement). All applicants must clearly indicate the basis of their eligibility in the “Explanations” section on the Standard Application Form (Std 678). Employment provisions as outlined by the Department of Personnel Administration's State Restriction of Appointments (SROA) policy will prevail. In addition, current or future executive orders relative to filling vacant positions may also affect this process. Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed.
PLEASE NOTE: Possession of minimum qualifications will be verified prior to interview and/or appointment. If it is determined an applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications, the applicant will be removed from the eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a State Application (Form 678) to: Annette Kahn/0201
California Department of Education
Personnel Services Division
1430 N Street, Suite 1802
Sacramento, CA 95814 APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY: March 8, 2013
174 - 206 - 9535 -
Final Filing Date:
Personnel Services Division 1430 N Street, Suite 1802 Sacramento, CA 95814
Annette Kahn 916-319-0683
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.