DUTIES: Under general supervision of the Staff Services Manager I, in the Admin Support & Regulations Adoption Unit, Legal, Audits and Compliance Branch, the Legal Secretary will be responsible for performing a variety of legal secretarial and administrative duties necessary to maintain the support function of the Legal Office. The function of the Legal Division is to advise and represent the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, the California Department of Education, and the State Board of Education, and its members, on legal matters.
• Prepares confidential, complex legal correspondence and documents as assigned by two or more staff attorneys, staff services manager, and/or analysts
• Type, format, and file and service legal pleadings in multiple jurisdictions
• Preparation of letters, briefs, petitions, opinions, motions, regulations and depositions, from dictation, drafts, computer disks, and other means. Assure that all documents are copied and in proper format and order
• Track progress of court proceedings
• Responsible for filing necessary documents in accordance with court timelines.
• Responsible for maintaining thorough working knowledge of legal processes and procedures, research materials and resources, including performance of less technical legal research and cite checks
• Maintain confidential and administrative files of assigned attorneys and other office staff
• Make travel arrangements, compute and prepare travel reimbursement claims and set up meetings and status conferences as necessary
• Update and maintain thorough working knowledge of office functions and responsibilities, including desk reference manual, and logs of assignments.
• Experience working in the state and federal court systems, including preparation of all court documents, and familiarity
with filing timelines and Master Court Calendars
• Experience with Windows 7, Excel, and Outlook 2010
• Excellent organization skills
• Give information and provide assistance using good judgment and discretion
• Good attendance and punctuality
WHO MAY APPLY: Individuals who have eligibility for appointment to the above class (e.g., transfer, list, reinstatement). All applicants must clearly indicate the basis of their eligibility in the “Explanations” section on the Standard Application Form (Std 678). Employment provisions as outlined by the Department of Personnel Administration's State Restriction of Appointments (SROA) policy will prevail. In addition, current or future executive orders relative to filling vacant positions may also affect this process. Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed.
PLEASE NOTE: Possession of minimum qualifications will be verified prior to interview and/or appointment. If it is determined an applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications, the applicant will be removed from the eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit a State Application (Form 678) to:
Donna Barr - Legal Office
Admin Support & Regulations Adoption
1430 N Street, Suite 5319
Sacramento, CA 9581 916-319-0641
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY: March 8, 2013
||174 - 071 - 1282 -
|Will also consider hiring a(n)
SENIOR LEGAL TYPIST $2,589.00 - $3,148.00 |
|Final Filing Date:
|Admin Support & Regulations Adoption Division
1430 N Street, Suite 5319
Sacramento, CA 95814
|Donna Barr- Legal Office