GENERAL SERVICES, DEPARTMENT OF
Title: STAFF INFORMATION SYSTEMS ANALYST (SPECIALIST)
Salary: $5,065.00 - $6,466.00
Please reference RPA #5968 and state eligibility on your application
The Department of General Services is subject to the Personal Leave Program 2012/2013
(PLP 2012/2013), effective July 1, 2012 for 12 consecutive pay periods through June 2013.
The salary reduction is 4.62% less the base salary rate above.
• Please submit a completed State Application (STD 678) and resume to the address above.
• SROA/Surplus employees are encouraged to apply.
• Transfers, reinstatements, or recruitment from the employment list may be considered. Consideration may be given to applicants on another Department’s employment list, provided the criteria are met to transfer the eligibility from the employment list to DGS’ employment list.
• Applications will be evaluated based on eligibility and desirable qualifications and interviews may be scheduled.
All work to be accomplished in accordance with DGS Information Technology Policies and Standards; the State Administrative Manual (SAM) Sections 4800 through 5953 and Sections 6700 through 6780; Department of Finance’s Statewide Information Management Manual (SIMM); California Technology Agency Policies and Standards; Department of Finance’s Desktop and Mobile Computing Policy (DMCP); the State’s IT Security Policy and Standards; and any updates to the above policies and procedures which are addressed through Budget Letters or other methods to ensure compliance with Federal and State government regulations and rules.
Under the general supervision of a Data Processing Manager II, Network, Telecommunications and Security Services (NTSS), the incumbent will perform technical design, implementation, maintenance, monitoring, and administration of the department’s enterprise fiber network. The incumbent independently performs a variety of the most complex ET services and functions as a team and technical lead in providing technical support and consultation services in the support of the Department of General Services enterprise network infrastructure. br>
In order to ensure reliable and consistent access to network resources, in accordance with the above stated guidelines, the incumbent:
• Deploys network operating system upgrades to routers, switches, and firewalls using network deployment tools and manual processes.
• Supports Wide Area Network (WAN) connections to the Department’s headquarters at the Ziggurat.
• Supports off-site offices’ Local Area Networks (LANs).
• Monitors and reviews network infrastructure equipment logs for abnormalities on the DGS network.
• Manages large scale network related projects such as fiber optic installations, network switch and router installations, LAN and WAN upgrades, UPS installs, etc.
• Support project management by preparing project status reports, resolving project issues and developing project schedules.
• Maintains network circuit inventory and billing.
• Creates and maintains network circuit sizing appropriate for remote site locations.
• Facilitates environmental monitoring and management.
• Evaluates and documents bandwidth usage on the DGS LAN and WAN.
• Monitors and reviews intrusion detection equipment for possible denial of services attacks and network intrusions.
• Monitors and evaluates security bulletins from Microsoft, Avaya, Cisco, Juniper and HP for possible installations.
• Provides network infrastructure security recommendations to the team and management.
• Provides timely updates to management in order to communicate status and/or changes to projects, tasks, or other assignments through informal meetings, e-mail, and written communications.
• Participates in mandatory on-call support rotation.
• Monitors daily Call Center/help desk issues using DGS standard help desk monitoring tool (Remedy).
• Adheres to Customer Service Level Agreements (SLA).
In order to ensure a reliable networking infrastructure and support the Department’s routers, switches, firewalls, infrastructure servers, and demilitarized zone, in accordance with the above guidelines:
• Troubleshoots network connectivity issues for DGS offices using available network analysis tools.
• Troubleshoots infrastructure equipment by applying technical knowledge and accessing varied technical resources such as the Internet, technical documents, manuals and teammates.
• Upgrades operating systems and patches infrastructure servers, routers, switches, and firewalls.
• Ensures security best practices are followed.
• Proactively reviews security logs and monitors and follows up on potential security breaches or anomalies.
• Researches and keeps current on 0-day security threats via manufacturer or security related websites and alerts.
In order to ensure departmental standards are adhered to and establish standard practices, in accordance with the above guidelines:
• Administers and maintains the DGS’ Internet usage tracking software and hardware.
• Provides policy recommendations in order to ensure consistency and reflect updates of processes through informal meetings, e-mail, and written communications.
• Provides oversight and guidance to staff and vendors to ensure IT projects are completed as scheduled.
• Analyzes business processes and determines if implementing or augmenting ET methodology would increase efficiency and creates initial design and implementation plans.
In order to better support the DGS network, the Staff Information Systems Analyst will develop and maintain a system of documentation of the network. Tasks include:
• Maintaining and updating network procedures and documentation.
• Surplus IT equipment such as servers, routers, and switches in accordance with DGS policies and standards and delivering or arranging for transportation to the surplus warehouse.
• Maintaining professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, viewing professional publications, and utilizing spare networking equipment for testing and development.
• Performs ET research, strategic planning, and recommendations report writing.
• Performs ET procurement recommendations.
• Implements and maintains departmental ET standards.
KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: Principles of public administration, organization, and management; information technology systems equipment, software, and practices; analytical techniques; technical report writing.
Ability to: Analyze information and situations, identify and solve problems, reason logically, and draw valid conclusions; develop effective solutions; apply creative thinking in the design of methods of processing information with information technology systems; monitor and resolve problems with information technology systems hardware, software, and processes; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; communicate effectively.
• Knowledge of the fiber network architecture design.
• Knowledge of the Fiber MAN architecture.
• Knowledge of networking concepts and practices.
• Must have the ability to analyze issues and have the ability to react independently to resolve issues.
• Project lead experience.
• Knowledge of MPLS protocol, fiber optic technology, cable management, network design best practices, and vendor agnostic switching and routing technologies.
• Knowledge and ability to read fiber installation as built drawings.
SPECIAL PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• Ability to act independently, be open-minded and flexible to other ideas and solutions, and be tactful.
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly and thoroughly.
• Ability to resolve technical problems quickly and tactfully.
• Ability to read and interpret operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work effectively under tight time constraints, client demands, and the pressure of multiple deadlines.
• Ability to be creative, highly motivated, handle rapidly changing priorities, and demonstrate leadership ability.
• Ability to take and follow direction from supervisors.
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers, peers, and management.
WORK ENVIRONMENT, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM DUTIES:
• Wear appropriate attire for a professional office environment.
• Communicate effectively with various clients.
• Read, understand, and apply knowledge acquired from various documents and resources.
• Work occasional overtime.
• Occasional lifting and/or moving of IT equipment up to 30 pounds.
• Effectively work under stress and deadlines.
|Staff Information Systems Analyst (Specialist)
||306 - 072 - 1312 - 024
|Final Filing Date:
|DGS Enterprise Technology Solutions
P.O. Box 989052, MS 300
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9052
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.