DUTIES: The California Department of Education (CDE) is currently recruiting for the Director of the Child Development Division (CDD). CDE Division Directors are an integral part of the CDE’s leadership team. The Director is responsible for leading the implementation of the State Superintendent of Public Instruction’s priorities and initiatives to ensure children have access to high quality early learn¬ing programs so that they thrive in their early learning settings and succeed in kindergarten and beyond. The CDD provides leadership and support to contractors and the child development community, ensuring high quality early education programs are provided to children ages birth to 13 years. The division develops policies, disseminates policies and program guidance through leadership efforts, administers all programs focused on child development, and establishes accountability efforts to ensure educational goals and program requirements are being met. In addition, the director interacts and communicates with a diverse group of stakeholders, including contractors, families, community members, professional organizations, public/non-public agencies, and the State Legislature.
1. Experience at the administrative level providing leadership and implementing, managing, and/or coordinating child care and development programs, including development and/or implementation of federal and/or state program laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
2. Experience at the administrative level managing multidisciplinary professional and analytical staff and leading staff development and team building efforts in order to advance the activities of a diverse organizational structure.
3. Experience at the administrative level collaborating with a variety of internal and/or external groups (e.g., the Legislature, the federal government, other state agencies, school districts, advisory committees, etc.), on legislation, funding, or high profile and politically sensitive issues.
4. Experience at the administrative level in strategic planning, performance measurement, benchmarking, and organizational development in order to add value to the organization and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of its programs.
5. Experience at the administrative level in effectively planning, implementing, and monitoring state and federal funding, including budgeting, grants management, monitoring, establishing effective controls, and reporting of results
WHO MAY APPLY: State employees eligible for appointment, transfer, or reinstatement to the CEA class or non-state employees eligible for appointment as a Visiting Educator. Visiting Educator Program participants are employees of qualifying governmental jurisdictions (e.g. local school districts, county offices of education, public and private universities) who work for the CDE while on loan from their current employers; civil service appointment eligibility is not required. If you qualify for and participate in the CDE exam for this position, you do not need to submit an additional application in response to this announcement. Applications will be screened and only the most qualified will be interviewed.
PLEASE NOTE: Possession of minimum qualifications will be verified prior to interview and/or appointment. If it is determined an applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications, the applicant will be removed from the eligibility list.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit your Resume, Statement of Qualifications, and State Application (Form 678) to:
California Department of Education
Selection Services Office
1430 N Street, #1802
Sacramento, CA 95814
Attention: Layla Killion
Include a Statement of Qualifications that describes your experience, knowledge and abilities as they relate to each “Desirable Qualification” factor listed under the “Desirable Qualifications” section of this bulletin. You must provide specific examples for each Desirable Qualification factor. The Desirable Qualification factors must be addressed and numbered in the same order as listed. The Statement of Qualifications should not exceed three pages in length with a minimum font size of 10 pitch.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY: March 15, 2013
||174 - 656 - 7500 -
|Final Filing Date:
|Selection Services Office
1430 N Street, Suite 1802
Sacramento, CA 95814