This is a Limited Term Intermittent position and may work at a maximum of 1500 hours per calendar year.
The Monitoring and Laboratory Division (MLD) of the California Air Resources Board (ARB or Board) is seeking qualified applicants for a limited term position in the area of ambient air monitoring quality assurance. Under the general direction of the Manager of the Quality Assurance Section (QAS), the successful incumbent will conduct the full range of quality assurance activities to ensure that the ambient air monitoring data collected throughout California complies with procedures and regulations set forth by the United States Environmental Protection Agency under the Code of Federal Regulation (40 CFR 58). As a designated Primary Quality Assurance Organization (PQAO), ARB is ultimately responsible for conducting performance and system audits for the gaseous, particulate, and meteorological sensors operated by monitoring organizations under the auspices of the ARB PQAO. The MLD QAS responsibilities will include the following: conduct air monitoring station performance audits; review and inspect local agency air monitoring programs for compliance with the collection, analysis, validation, and reporting of ambient air monitoring data; identify and resolve problems; and assist with special event air monitoring activities.
The ARB's Quality Management Branch is located in the MLD Main Laboratory at the 13th and T Street facilities in Sacramento (close to downtown and light rail). This is an exciting opportunity for a driven, energetic, and qualified professional who is looking to be a part of the Quality Assurance team and contribute to the future of the Board’s Quality Assurance program.
- Competency in basic air quality science as evidenced by a degree in science or engineering from a recognized, accredited university.
- Familiarity with quality assurance and quality control techniques.
- Knowledge of ambient air monitoring principles and laboratory operations.
- Knowledge of chemistry and statistics.
- Strong mechanical ability.
- Strong analytical and technical writing skills.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision by being a self-motivator and a team player.
- Excellent organization, analytical, written and oral communication skills, and the ability to
effectively work with staff at all levels.
- A graduate or terminal degree in science or engineering is highly desirable.
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applicants will be screened and only the most qualified candidates will be interviewed. This vacancy may be subject to SROA/Surplus provisions. Surplus applicants must attach a copy of their surplus letter with a completed standard State application (STD 678). On page one of your State application you must clearly indicate the basis of your eligibility: list appointment, transfer, SROA, surplus, re-employment, or reinstatement.
If interested, please submit a completed standard State application (STD 678) and any other relevant documents (e.g. unofficial transcript, copy of degrees, resume, etc.) to the attention of Patrick Rainey at the address indicated below.
|AIr Pollution Specialist
||673 - 571 - 3887 - xxx
|Final Filing Date:
|Monitoring and Laboratory
1927 13th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811