Associate Programmer Analyst (Specialist) – Administrative Services, Information Technology Services Branch
JOB OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN NUMBER: J157913012
$4619 - $5897 per month
FINAL FILING DATE:
February 5, 2013
California Public Utilities Commission
Information Technology Services Branch
505 Van Ness Avenue, Room 3003
San Francisco, CA 94102
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates must submit an ONLINE JOB APPLICATION along with a résumé and a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ).
If you need assistance completing the application, you may ask the Human Resources staff, or e-mail email@example.com or call (855) 663-0222.
Questions concerning this position should be directed to Joyce Fong at (415) 703-2176 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
The SOQ must address the candidate’s experience and qualifications as they relate specifically to bullet items in the Required Experience/Qualifications section of this bulletin. The SOQ shall be 11 point, Arial font, no longer than three (3) typewritten pages and should reference each bullet item in a narrative format. Candidates will be rated on the content of their statements as well as their written communication skills. The SOQ will be evaluated using standardized rating criteria to select the candidate that is most qualified for the position. The content of the SOQ should provide the reviewers with sufficient details for each topic area to demonstrate the candidate’s ability to serve as an Associate Programmer Analyst (Specialist). In the event there is more than one highly qualified candidate, hiring interviews may be conducted.
Please observe the page limit. If a candidate submits more than three pages, only the first three pages of the SOQ will be evaluated. Applicants who do not submit a completed SOQ with their application will not be given further consideration.
Please note that all information provided is subject to verification. For each of the topic areas discussed in the SOQ, please include the name(s) and phone number(s) of supervisor(s) and/or manager(s) who are knowledgeable of your work and may be contacted for verification.
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applicants eligible for lateral transfer (defined in SPB Rules 430-433*), list appointment, voluntary demotion, reinstatement or other State Civil Service eligibility under SPB rules will be considered. To become “list eligible” for consideration, interested candidates must successfully pass a civil service exam. Those applicants currently on an SROA list or employed by a surplus department in a specific classification designated as surplus will be given primary consideration.
* Copies of SPB Rules 430-433 are available in the Human Resources Office.
The incumbent is expected to:
• Work effectively and cooperatively as a developer with the Project Management Office, with contractors and end-users throughout application development and maintenance processes.
• Assist end-users in identifying and defining their problems or needs which utilize information technology as a solution.
• Examine alternative approaches to solving problems.
• Analyze/implement end-user enhancements and change requests.
• Prepare user and systems documentation.
• Conduct user training and assist in the training and development of other personnel.
• Provide technical information and support to other IT staff.
The candidate selected for the position should have demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
• Work experience programming in PL/SQL and Oracle tools.
• Experience with data modeling.
• Knowledge of the principles and techniques of designing and programming database applications.
• Experience managing projects.
• Ability to work with non-technical staff to extract business needs and translate the information to IT solutions.
• Ability to analyze situations accurately and develop logical conclusions and courses of action.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to communicate and work well with technical and non-technical staff.
• Ability to develop and train personnel.
• Ability to take the initiative in performing progressively more complex work and assume increased responsibility.
• Ability to work independently, multi-task, carry out assignments and meet work commitments having established deadlines.
• Ability to work well under pressure and time constraints.
• Experience programming in Java or other Object Oriented language.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.