FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Title: ASSISTANT CHIEF COUNSEL
Salary: $8,930.00 - $10,043.00
**IMPORTANT NOTICE** As required by the department's rules of conduct, all employees of the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) must be in compliance with the California revenue and taxation code. During the background investigation portion of the hiring process, FTB will review return information to verify California state income tax compliance. Any failure to comply with the California revenue and taxation code may prevent you from being hired at FTB. You must verify your filing status by calling 1-800-852-5711 to resolve any potential tax compliance issues, prior to submitting your application and seeking employment with FTB. All applicants not currently employed with the Franchise Tax Board will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The investigation will consist of completion of a pre-employment questionnaire, fingerprinting, and an inquiry to the Department of Justice to disclose criminal records. We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Persons with hearing or speech impairments, call TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
The Assistant Chief Counsel is a key member of the Legal Division Management Team. Under the general direction of the Chief Counsel, the incumbent plans, organizes and directs the activites of Legal Division staff who: interpret laws, regulations and court decisions; handle taxpayer protests and appeals; represent the department before various state adminstrative bodies including the State Board of Equalization; act as a liason with the Office of the Attorney General in litigation; testify before legislative and congressional committees; draft and analyze legislative proposals and bills; promulgate regulations, render advice with respect to other adminstrative matters; and serve in an acting capacity for the Chief Counsel in the Chief Counsel's absence. Position is eligible for a 9.61% pay differential salary increase per pay period.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS :
- Membership in the California State Bar.
- Please see the Assistant Chief Counsel classification specification for specific required knowledge, skills and abilities.
WHO MAY APPLY :
- Demonstrated ability to understand legal tax issues involving personal income tax, administration and procedure tax, general tax, business entity tax, potentially abusive tax avoidance transaction tax, other legal issues encountered in the administrative resolution of tax disputes, and other programs administered by FTB.
- Exceptional leadership skills, personnel management skills and flexibility.
- Clear understanding of FTB’s Missions and Values, tax and non-tax programs, policy direction and initiatives.
- Skills to present and respond effectively to executive management, department program managers, elected or appointed officials and the business community.
- A broad knowledge of the operations of the Legal Division and its support staff.
- Knowledge of the FTB management and divisional structure, functions and programs.
- Knowledge of current management trends, including customer service, business organization and operations, technology, resource development and budgeting.
Current state employees with status in the above classification or lateral transfers from an equivalent class, former state employees who can reinstate into this class or persons who are reachable on a current employment list for this classification. A training and development assignment (T & D) will also be considered. All appointments are subject to SROA/Surplus hiring provisions. Surplus candidates must submit an application packet as outlined in this bulletin with a copy of their surplus status letter in order to be considered.
HOW TO APPLY :
Interested applicants must submit a package containing ALL of the following items:
SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION :
In order to be considered for this position, all interested candidates must submit a supplemental application. Your response must be no more than two type-written pages in length, using 12-point font, 1-inch standard margin and include your first and last name in the upper right-hand corner of each page. Respond to the following supplemental statement:
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE THE POSITION NUMBER AND CONTACT PERSON’S NAME IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. Candidates who submit incomplete packages will be eliminated from the selection process. All submitted information will be screened and the most qualified candidates will be invited to an interview. FTB EMPLOYEES MUST HAND DELIVER OR ROUTE TO: Connie Aceves at M/S A390. Candidates not currently employed by the Franchise Tax Board must send their application package to the address shown below. Multiple positions may exist for this vacancy.
- Describe your work experience that qualifies you for this position, including experience specifically related to the Desirable Experience/Qualifications.
|Assistant Chief Counsel
||564 - 410 - 5871 - 001
|Final Filing Date:
P.O. Box 550
Sacramento, CA 95812-0550
Background Check Required
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.