The Department of State Hospitals – Atascadero is a secure public sector hospital providing inpatient forensic services for mentally ill adult males who are court committed throughout the State of California. Located on the family friendly central coast of California, the Department of State Hospitals – Atascadero is in the vicinity of destination locations such as San Luis Obispo, Cambria and Morro Bay, with easy access to beautiful beaches, serene natural settings and many historical landmarks. The Department of State Hospitals – Atascadero offers great benefit options, competing salary wages and advancement opportunities for our employees. We invite you to join our professional and talented workforce by applying for the vacancy listed.
For more information about the Department of State Hospitals – Atascadero, click here.
*There are MULTIPLE vacancies for this classification*
IMPORTANT INFORMATION:The Medical Staff of DSH:Atascadero requires Psychology candidates meet the Medical Staff criteria for privileging set forth in the facility Bylaws. Candidates who are applying for both unlicensed and licensed positions must submit the following items for full consideration as a candidate for the classification:
• Sealed official transcripts from doctoral institution and copy of graduate diploma
• A copy of current curriculum vitae that includes months and years of experience
• A formal letter of interest outlining experience working with the mentally ill for a period of 6 months or more
• Two example patient reports with all patient identifiers redacted
In addition to the items listed above, candidates must have completed an American Psychological Association (APA) or Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Center (APPIC) accredited doctoral program and internship. Applicants who do not possess the required APA/APPIC doctoral program or accredited internship can solicit a petition of waiver from the Chair of Psychology. It is incumbent upon the applicant to provide a cover letter including the rationale for the requested waiver based upon their training and experience. Please note that candidates requesting the waiver will be assessed in full by the Department of Psychology Credentials Committee for fitness in meeting the Medical Staff Bylaws criteria.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION LISTED ABOVE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
The Psychologist will be directed by the Chief Psychologist and/or delegated Senior Psychologist, Supervisor in the Psychology department. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties but not limited to:
• Completing an Admission Psychological Assessment (APA) to further delineate and clarify psychiatric and psychological diagnoses.
• Conducting intellectual and cognitive assessments of all patients when clinically indicated.
• Conducting psychological assessments.
• Responsible for creating and monitoring behavioral interventions.
• Providing timely feedback to the patient, the results of psychological assessments and evaluations and completing appropriate documentation of this interaction.
• Delivering treatment services.
• Performing treatment team duties.
• If a qualified licensed Psychologist, providing clinical supervision to pre-doctoral interns and unlicensed professionals as requested by the Chief Psychologist.
Applicants will be screened and only the most competitive will be considered.
In order to be considered for this job vacancy, you must satisfy one of the following requirements:
1. Successfully complete the competitive State civil service exam pertaining to the vacancy, or
2. Have current employment with the State of California in the same classification or in a classification that is comparable (employees who wish to be considered based on transfer eligibility must meet the minimum qualifications of the classification per DPA Rule 250) or
3. Have obtained previous employment with the State of California in the same classification or in a classification that is comparable.
*Appointment may be subject to SROA/Surplus restrictions.
*Minimum qualifications will be verified prior to being interviewed and/or appointment.
Please complete and submit a Standard State 678 Application (STD. 678) to the following address by the final filing date:
Department of State Hospitals – Atascadero
P.O. Box 7005
Atascadero, CA 93423
455 - 011 - 9873 - xxx
Atascadero State Hospital
SAN Luis OBISPO
Final Filing Date:
Employment Office P.O. Box 7005 Atascadero, CA 93423
Atascadero State Hospital (805) 468-3384
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.