FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Title: PROGRAM SPECIALIST I, FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
Salary: $5,076.00 - $6,476.00
**IMPORTANT NOTICE** As required by the department's rules of conduct, all employees of the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) must be in compliance with the California revenue and taxation code. During the background investigation portion of the hiring process, FTB will review return information to verify California state income tax compliance. Any failure to comply with the California revenue and taxation code may prevent you from being hired at FTB. You must verify your filing status by calling 1-800-852-5711 to resolve any potential tax compliance issues, prior to submitting your application and seeking employment with FTB. All applicants not currently employed with the Franchise Tax Board will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation. The investigation will consist of completion of a pre-employment questionnaire, fingerprinting, and an inquiry to the Department of Justice to disclose criminal records. We comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Persons with hearing or speech impairments, call TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Under the general direction of the Administrator I, Tax Forms Development & Distribution unit, the incumbent will perform technical review of the department’s tax forms, schedules, booklets, and publications. Responsibilities include technical law analysis of complex and sensitive issues for the purpose of developing tax forms and instructions that accurately reflect the law, support department processing requirements, and consider taxpayers’ filing impacts. You will work with a team of tax form analysts and policy leads to determine the impact to tax forms resulting from state/federal legislation and related tax issues, interpret and explain these impacts in terms that are clear and understandable, and ensure these impacts are applied on a consistent basis. You will also work with staff to ensure quality and timeliness of work products, work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that FTB forms and instructions meet their needs, and prepare departmental issue papers and legislative change proposals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES :
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE/QUALIFICATIONS :
WHO MAY APPLY :
- Knowledge of California Personal Income Tax and Business Entity Tax laws and regulations in order to understand filing requirements and compliance issues.
- Knowledge of federal Personal Income Tax and Business Entity Tax laws and regulations in order to determine California conformity to federal provisions.
- Ability to communicate sensitive and complex issues verbally and in writing for others to understand the impacts to policy, procedures, or projects.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with coworkers and internal/external customers in order to maintain a professional working relationship.
- Knowledge of state and federal legislative process to update tax forms and publications.
- Skill to locate and research relevant, useful information from a variety of sources in order to determine the application to the tax forms and publications and to the department’s policies and procedures.
- Ability to work in a team environment in order to meet the team’s purpose and objective within a set timeframe.
- Ability to work independently in order to make decision and meet deadlines.
- Audit or related experience working with a variety of complex tax issues.
- Broad knowledge of the department's programs.
- Experience of state and federal legislative process to write or evaluate legislative proposals.
- Experience in preparing complex income tax returns.
- Experience on departmental teams or projects.
- Familiarity and experience working with tax forms and publications.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to a changing environment and changing priorities.
- Highly motivated self-starter who enjoys a fast-paced environment.
Current state employees with status in the above classification or lateral transfers from an equivalent class, former state employees who can reinstate into this class or persons who are reachable on a current employment list for this classification. A training and development assignment (T & D) will also be considered. All appointments are subject to SROA/Surplus hiring provisions. Surplus candidates must submit an application packet as outlined in this bulletin with a copy of their surplus status letter in order to be considered.
HOW TO APPLY :
Interested applicants must submit a package containing ALL of the following items:
- A completed standard state application (std 678)
- Supplemental Application (see below)
In order to be considered for this position, interested applicants must submit a supplemental application. Your response must be no more than two type-written pages in length, using 12-point font, 1 inch margins and include your first and last name in the upper right-hand corner of each page. Respond to the following supplemental statements:
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE THE POSITION NUMBER AND CONTACT PERSON’S NAME IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. Candidates who submit incomplete packages will be eliminated from the selection process. FTB EMPLOYEES MUST HAND DELIVER OR ROUTE TO: Leander Jones Jr. at M/S F-284. Candidates not currently employed by the Franchise Tax Board must send their application package to the address shown below. All submitted information will be screened and the most qualified candidates will be invited to an interview.
- Describe your knowledge and experience in evaluating or writing legislative proposals.
- The Program Specialist I’s responsibility is perform technical law analysis of complex and sensititve issues for the purpose of developing tax forms and instructions taking in consideration of taxpayers’ filing impacts. Explain your experience, as a tax preparer, in preparing complex income tax returns.
- For each statement above, include the following:
- Years of experience and volume per year
- Employer(s) name
- Your position/title
- Supervisor’s name who can verify the information
||564 - 723 - 4364 - 001
|Filing Methods Section / Tax Forms Development & Distributing
|Final Filing Date:
P.O. Box 550
Sacramento, CA 95812-0550
|Leander Jones Jr.
Background Check Required
Use your browsers "BACK" button
to return to your results/listing page.
Start A New Search
Start A New Search
View in Printer
If you are not a current or former State employee, you must first take an examination to obtain list eligibility. This does not apply to Student Assistant vacancies.
Learn all about it.
Equal Opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
It is the objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free state workplace. Any applicant for State employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing civil service, and the special trust placed in public servants.