PLEASE NOTE: FILE IN PERSON ONLY - MAY 17, 2013 FROM 08:30 A.M. - 12:30 P.M. AT 100 WATERFRONT PLACE
WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95605.
CARS MAY NOT BE LEFT IN THE LOADING ZONE LOCATED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE BUILDING.
Parking at CalSTRS is available in the uncovered parking lot located in the front of CalSTRS at a cost of $1.00 for every ½ hour. Parking can only be paid for with Credit or Debit card. You must enter the parking lot and pull a ticket from the visitor entrance on Waterfront Place.
Public parking is also available at the Department of General Services (DGS). The entrance is also located on Waterfront
Place and the cost is also $1.00 for every ½ hour, however an attendant is available to take cash when exiting.
Multiple positions available.
When applying, please note on your application: Position #815-860-1120-901 RPA (12-592).
Under the close supervision of a Pension Program Manager I, the Seasonal Clerk performs entry level, clerical duties required to administer counseling services to benefit recipients, active and inactive members.
- As directed by COG staff, respond verbally and in writing to member telephone inquiries regarding Benefits Counseling services. Relay applicable program information and Benefits Counseling services provided by CalSTRS. Screen calls to verify if Benefits Counseling is the desired service and redirect them to the appropriate CalSTRS resource when necessary.
- Collect and document information provided by members to schedule and prepare for Benefits Counseling appointments. Schedule appointments for counselors and prepare an accurate record of the appointment in Schedule Direct and the START database event tracking screen.
- Gather the required member account information from the START database, Imaging, or other program staff to prepare for Benefits Counseling appointments. Prepare and mail counseling appointment confirmation letters to members by using a CalSTRS letterhead, template and word processing software or email. Compile handouts used in benefit counseling sessions.
- Provide staff with clerical support, including scheduling and maintaining reoccurring staff meetings. Periodically communicate information to benefits counselors, county administrators and secretaries in the field offices via fax, mail, or e-mail. Order, receive, and distribute materials and supplies for the Benefits Counseling Office. Create or modify Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents for counseling staff and manager as directed.
- Greet members at the Member Service Center counter and direct them to the appropriate staff for service.
- Knowledge of CalSTRS retirement benefits or other pension program administration
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high volume call center type of environment
- Strong customer service skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, multi-line phone systems and scheduling software
- Ability to read, understand and apply memorandums as well as information provided by the members to aide in determining the appropriate services to provide them
- Ability to adapt in a rapidly changing work environment
- Possess good attendance habits
The California State Teachers’ Retirement System is a Special Fund Agency.
We are the largest teachers’ retirement fund in the United States. Our primary
responsibility is to provide retirement related benefits and services to teachers
in public schools from kindergarten through community college.
Our employee recognition program, Virtuosity, garnered the 2012 Best Practice Standards Award for
Best Overall Recognition Program from Recognition Professionals International! The international award
celebrates employee recognition innovations that enhance organizational performance. This award is a clear
recognition of our employer of choice commitment, as CalSTRS continues to emphasize the importance of our
core values and mission statement.
CalSTRS Core Values: A set of attitudes, beliefs and behaviors that define CalSTRS and its employees.
- Customer Service: We never compromise on quality as we strive to meet or exceed the expectations of our customers.
- Accountability: We operate with transparency and accept responsibility for our actions.
- Leadership: We model best practices in our industry and innovate to achieve higher standards.
- Strength: We ensure the strength of our system by embracing a diversity of ideas and people.
- Trust: We conduct ourselves with integrity, acting ethically in every endeavor.
- Respect: We respect the needs of our members, co-workers, and others, treating everyone with fairness, honesty, and courtesy.
- Stewardship: We recognize our fiduciary responsibility as the foundation for all decision-making.
CalSTRS Core Competencies: Behavioral characteristics that are essential for the success of each contributor and are directly related to the success of CalSTRS as a whole.
- Adaptability / Flexibility: Adapts well to changes, approaches change positively, and adjusts behavior accordingly.
- Communication: Demonstrates applicable job-related written, oral, and listening skills.
- Customer / Client Focus: Identifies and responds to current and future client needs.
- Teamwork: Participates as an active and contributing member of a team to achieve team goals.
- Work Standards / Quality Orientation: Sets high quality work standards while displaying a high level of effort towards completing assignments in a timely manner.
(1) Prior to employment with CalSTRS, a background investigation (BI) will
be conducted. The BI consists of a Personal History Statement and fingerprinting
through the Department of Justice. The BI will check criminal and civil records and, if applicable, verify
education and check driving records.
(2) The position may be subject to the disclosure and disqualification requirements concerning
economic conflict of interest in government work, pursuant to the CalSTRS Conflict of Interest Code and the Political
(3) Applicants will not be considered if the application is not completed appropriately and/or if
required additional information is not submitted with the application.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals must submit a STD 678, Examination and/or Employment Application (Rev. 12/06 or later) in person, on the date indicated above. Surplus applicants must attach a copy
of their letter. The STD. 678 can be accessed through the State Personnel Board website at
Applicants who are receiving state public assistance under the CalWORKs program are encouraged to apply. Applicants
who receive state public assistance need to identify
their status as a CalWORKs recipient in the ‘Explanations’ area on the application. Applicants must submit a
verification of their CalWORKs eligibility status,
which may include the most recent Notice of Action showing TANF eligibility or a copy of your last aid check stub.
All applicants must comply with the instructions on this
bulletin to be considered for this position.
||815 - 860 - 1120 - 901
|Plan Design & Communication/COG
|Final Filing Date:
|State Teachers' Retirement System - CalSTRS
PO BOX 15275
Sacramento, CA 95851
|Human Resources - 860-1120-901